Having trouble with different drives and default paths

shafeen.hossain97

Prominent
Sep 13, 2017
Recently bought a laptop with a 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd. By default all programs installed onto the ssd so I followed these steps http://www.thewindowsclub.com/change-default-program-files-directory-windows which basically had me edit the registry. Now the only problem is when I plug in headphones it goes into the hdd looking for the audio program files rather than the ssd. The program is on the ssd. Is there a way to change the file path it takes or can i transfer everything to the hdd? The laptop I am using has windows 10. Thanks for the help

Solution
Wait..if all programs installed on ssd by default (I'm assuming windows is also on it), then why did you registery change default install path?
As for can you transfer, in theory you can. But then you have to change so many things from both within the program and within windows, that it's not worth doing this. My advice would be uninstall programs you don't want on ssd, and instead reinstall them, and when during installation, it asks you for location of install, manually write it out as D:/Program Files instead of pointing them to C (which is ssd?). I wouldn't have touched the registry at all.

Sedivy

Estimable
Wait..if all programs installed on ssd by default (I'm assuming windows is also on it), then why did you registery change default install path?
As for can you transfer, in theory you can. But then you have to change so many things from both within the program and within windows, that it's not worth doing this. My advice would be uninstall programs you don't want on ssd, and instead reinstall them, and when during installation, it asks you for location of install, manually write it out as D:/Program Files instead of pointing them to C (which is ssd?). I wouldn't have touched the registry at all.

Solution