To buy a cheep new car or buy a better used car?

dyno_05

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
I was thinking in getting a car in the future. What would be best. To buy a cheaper car like a kia or a Hyundai brand new or get a used car for around the same price or cheeper. What used car would be best? My buddy has a mazda around 12 years old and it drives amazingly with little troubles, only problem it has is body rust. He had to do some body work after cuz the where the back wheels are started to rust and had to replace a windshield cuz of rust. I really don't want to deal with rust issues. If i end up getting a new car id pay the extra for rust proofing if it's a grand or so i guess.
think around 2020 ill have enough maybe with some help

Solution
I buy used.

I first look at consumer reports to see what the reliability history of different makes/models/years are.
They have lists of what the good models are and which to avoid.
If you live in road salt country or on the seashore, you are going to get rust earlier.
Avoid models wit rust issues.
One can fix anything mechanical, but rust a killer.
I look for a car with at least a little bit of the factory warranty left.
If I have an early issue, I am covered.
I keep it until about 80K miles and repeat the process.
Best if you can buy a car you will like to drive for 5 years or more.

As above, As soon as you drive off the lot in a used car, it becomes a used one and will be worth some 15% less than you paid for it.
If you are...
I like going the cheaper used car route. You won't have to eat the depreciation of a new car and most cars 2-3 years old will be just like when they rolled off the lot (even with 20,000 miles). If you're mechanically inclined, you can even buy a car in slightly rougher condition and fix up the small bits yourself. You have to be a little more careful about who you're buying from and make sure to bring someone along that knows a thing or two about cars to give it a once over.

On the other hand, if you want peace of mind and a warranty, then a new car would be the way to go. It can be a good way to help build your credit if you're starting out in life.

USAFRet

Titan

"Rust proofing" depends hugely on where you are, and where the car came from.
And is mostly a dealer scam.

A car in or from the Northeast WILL rust out a LOT faster than something from the South or West.

I buy used.

I first look at consumer reports to see what the reliability history of different makes/models/years are.
They have lists of what the good models are and which to avoid.
If you live in road salt country or on the seashore, you are going to get rust earlier.
Avoid models wit rust issues.
One can fix anything mechanical, but rust a killer.
I look for a car with at least a little bit of the factory warranty left.
If I have an early issue, I am covered.
I keep it until about 80K miles and repeat the process.
Best if you can buy a car you will like to drive for 5 years or more.

As above, As soon as you drive off the lot in a used car, it becomes a used one and will be worth some 15% less than you paid for it.
If you are likely to keep the car forever, then that is differennt

Solution

ARICH5

Distinguished
also depends how handy you are. can you fix/diagnose things yourself? it can be very rewarding. maybe offtopic but new mitsubishis have a great all-inclusive 10 year warrenty and great resale value for a 20,000$ car. i wouldnt get one cuz they are slow as molasses. lol

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I'm surprised that there's rust issues on your friend's car that's 12 years old, but, I suppose some models are more rust-prone than others.

I've had used cars from the late 80s and early 90s that spent all their lives in New Jersey, yet, even at over 15 years old, didn't have any rust.

I suppose it depends on what your budget is when you're going to get the car. There are some good economy-level cars that are fairly inexpensive, and their is something to be said for having the full length factory warranty when you buy new, assuming your intent is to keep the car for a decade or more.

Hard to say by 2020 by the way. The landscape may be very different by then, as I suspect there'll be a greater number of hybrids and all-electrics.

mymutter

Honorable
Dec 23, 2014
depends on what you are looking for. I like cars, I collect cars, (some) and some are better drivers than others.

with hyundai, if you are talking accent, etc, then you are buying a cheap car with a a warranty. 10 years, 100,000 miles or trouble free driving. gas and oil, brakes, etc. and they are not that bad to drive.

basically it comes down to what you want. what's your financing budget vs your cash budget?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts