Update KB4038788 messed up

arniespace

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
The Sept 12 update (KB4038788) really did a number on my PC. Any help in sorting this out would be very welcome. Since the update I am experiencing black screen flashes, software crashes, (programs I use all the time without issue) and my computer is 50% slower. I uninstalled update KB4038788 and installed the most recent video driver, I also paused updates, since Windows immediately began to download KB4038788 again when I uninstalled it. I used system restore lastly, a restore point on Sept 10, but the problems are the same. The problems began immediately after the update re-boot, it was like night and day. My hardware is: Asus Mobo, AMD 6 core processor, 32 gig ram, 500 gig SSD, 1TB WD Blue, and GTX 1060 6 GB video. Windows is on SSD. Computer has been running great since built in Dec '16. I am not a gamer, the video card is used for 3D rendering, Blender, Zbrush, ect. I will probably end up doing a clean install of Windows 10, but I just did that about four mouths ago when Windows update kept installing the wrong driver for my video card, which gave me perma-black screen. The GTX 1060 was added at that time and have not had a problem until now. Remember Windows 95? I used to re-install it about once a year for a huge performance gain. Windows 10 don't seem much better if you need to re-install it every four months, and it would probably have the "Quality" update baked in anyways. Any suggestions would be welcome, I've lost two days of productivity, and a bunch of hair over this.

Solution
After 3 days of thrashing around trying to fix this I uninstalled Bitdefender about a hour ago. I have not had a problem with black screen flashes for a hour now. I let Windows update install KB4038788 yesterday, since it did not fix the issue by removing it. I need to test my various graphics programs to see if they still crash, but it seems likely that Bitdefender was the culprit here. Bitdefender had updates the same day as Windows did. I have over 200 days left on my subscription, but if it turns out to be the problem, I will switch back to Webroot and pay for that as well.
Update: Six hours since uninstalling Bitdefender Internet Security and I have not had a single black screen or software crash. I did not have any problems with...

arniespace

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
After 3 days of thrashing around trying to fix this I uninstalled Bitdefender about a hour ago. I have not had a problem with black screen flashes for a hour now. I let Windows update install KB4038788 yesterday, since it did not fix the issue by removing it. I need to test my various graphics programs to see if they still crash, but it seems likely that Bitdefender was the culprit here. Bitdefender had updates the same day as Windows did. I have over 200 days left on my subscription, but if it turns out to be the problem, I will switch back to Webroot and pay for that as well.
Update: Six hours since uninstalling Bitdefender Internet Security and I have not had a single black screen or software crash. I did not have any problems with Bitdefender 2017 but when it updated to 2018 my computer became practically useless. I assumed it was a problem with the Windows update, but now I am pretty sure that was not the case.

Solution