I am restricted to doing many things and want to reset my pc, but cant.

Ballizt

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Right now, I am not able to download any applications "Error occurred attempting to create a directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows" I gave up though all day been trying to find a fix, been through every thread, no hope. I just want to reset my pc seeing this and all my game run horribly under 20 fps when I used to get hundreds. It started with a malware / virus issue. The virus shut down all my anti-virus software and would not let anything even remotely close to anti-virus / anti-malware install.
I managed to remove the virus, some of it by hand, but then I noticed that some of the symptoms stayed. Most notably anti-virus programs not installing or running. I can run all of them in safe mode, but they fail in safe mode with networking or diagnostic start. Also, those that would not install could be installed in safe mode (after turning on the installer service).
I finally got windows defender working and it removed a threat (twice) but the problem remained.
I tried doing the reset your pc option but have the same symptoms of the little circle going for about 1 second then everything stopping. I can not find anything in the event viewer to indicate why it failed. I also tried re-installation with the ISO download, no luck, I dont have a USB but guessing if the ISO didn't work it probably wouldnt work with the USB.
I have run all the suggestions I could possibly find,but again to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

A fresh install will work if you do the install from a bootable USB thumb drive. Power down the PC, plug in the thumb drive. Then on boot up, go into the bios and set it to boot from the USB thumb drive. Be sure to select the clean install.

Ballizt

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

I have finally done, and I feel relieved, when clean installing I had a bit of trouble and had to do stuff in my BIOS for like 30 minutes, but I got through and running GOOD AS NEW!! I am very happy, thank you for your helo btw!