What does Direct X 12 do?

tkline

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2016
So I was just doing some testing. I noticed in The Division, there's a setting to use Direct X 12. I tried the ultra settings and running the benchmark test twice with Direct X 12 selected, and twice without.. and it came out with the same results each time, or just off by a fraction of a percent. So, what is the benefit of using Direct X 12? Or, was my system not good enough to take advantage of it?

I have an i5-6500, GTX 1070, 32 GB of RAM and nothing else was running in the background or anything. I'm using an Ultrawide monitor at 3440x1440 resolution. Average FPS was 49, also it says CPU usage is around 70% and GPU 96.

Anyway just curious there should have been any kind of benefit to using DX 12 or not? I was kinda surprised there wasn't really any change in the stats

Solution
well, your kinda right in a way. DX12 brings some graphical improvements, ease of programming, use of hardware. Mostly under the hood improvements. It also makes better use of the CPU. With lots of multi-core CPU's, with 4 cores and sometimes twice as many threads, previous generations didn't use that resource base as well as DX12 does.

With that said, I agree completely. I play BF1 a lot, and cannot see the difference at all between DX11 and DX12, apart from a slowdown in performance. So i play it on DX11 to get higher FPS, because thats always better for that type of fast paced game. DX12 is supposed to bring some new eye candy too. But most developers haven't really tapped into that yet. But that will change, and soon most games...
well, your kinda right in a way. DX12 brings some graphical improvements, ease of programming, use of hardware. Mostly under the hood improvements. It also makes better use of the CPU. With lots of multi-core CPU's, with 4 cores and sometimes twice as many threads, previous generations didn't use that resource base as well as DX12 does.

With that said, I agree completely. I play BF1 a lot, and cannot see the difference at all between DX11 and DX12, apart from a slowdown in performance. So i play it on DX11 to get higher FPS, because thats always better for that type of fast paced game. DX12 is supposed to bring some new eye candy too. But most developers haven't really tapped into that yet. But that will change, and soon most games will be released with DX12, and be backward compatible with DX11 so that the majority of others can play the games too.

Also, another factor is the GPU makers. They release updates, GPU Driver, with great regularity, and for the purpose of increasing performance. So the use of DX12, and GPU's/Cpu's taking advantage of what can do will get better.

AMD have had a bit of a lead with their GPU's. An example being the RX480/580, which had better results than the similarly specced GTX1060 6gb. The GTX just didn't perform as well. With driver releases from both that has equalled out a bit, and one or the other leads in any particular game, but are generally very close.

Solution

PS. Love those widescreen monitors. I'm soooo gonna get me one of those. Alas, my trusty BenQ, Paltry 22inch, 1080p piece of crap will have to do for now!

Enjoy :)