98 Installation doesn't detect HDD or SSD

crashrhs2008

Prominent
Sep 16, 2017
I partitioned 32gb of my 4TB HD to install Windows 98. I partitioned it with FAT32 but whenever I try to install Windows 98 from the CD, it doesn't recognize any of my hard drives. My BIOS doesnt have the option of switching my SATA drives from AHCI to IDE.

Any body have any ideas? I've got some older PC games that only run on a 32 bit version of Windows so that's why I'm trying to install 98.

Windows 98 drivers don't exist for modern hardware. Have you tried Windows' compatibility mode or just dual booting to a 32-bit version of a modern Windows OS? Your other options would be to:

• Compile your own drivers
    Shop for old hardware and put together a legacy build
    Install a virtual machine

Good luck with the first one unless you're a skilled, experienced, brilliant software engineer, in which case you probably wouldn't be here asking us but I digress... ;)
The second option would probably be ideal but expensive and time consuming. Most fun in my opinion though.
Virtual machines can be free and a quick setup.

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
yeah sorry dude you're out of luck. Check around dumpsters and stuff, and you're likely to eventually find a P4 box capable of running W98se