Did I break my PC trying to reformat?

PopeCheese

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I just purchased a new samsung evo 850 SSD. I cloned my C from an ADATA SP550 240gb to it using Samsungs data migration tool. All went as planned. I booted up with the samsung plugged in and the adata gone no problem.

Then I went to reformat. I wanted to start fresh with all my drives (samsung EVO 250gb with OS, a 500gb for games etc, and a 1 TB WD Blue for mass storage). I had a Windows 10 iso on a flash drive, booted to it, went to install windows, and noticed when at the screen where you choose where to install it that there was a format option on the bottom, but unfortunately apparently I was not able to use this function because all my drives were MBR, not GPT (...who knew).

No problem, I thought. I'll just reboot, change them to GPT, and then come back here, format everything, then install windows on my totally fresh storage. So i cancelled and my PC went to reboot, I pulled out the flash drive after a few seconds, and now every time I boot I get past the bios splash page and get to this screen

https://imgur.com/a/kRxLL

I can enter bios and move boot order around. I've tried every order, booting from the flash drive again, removing every drive except the one my OS is on, etc. No matter what I do, I get to this screen and go no further.

What did I do? Is my shit ruined somehow?

i7-7700k MSI z170a gaming M5 Gigabyte aorus 1080 TI 2x8 Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000 Corsair RM850x Samsung evo 250, 500 1 TB WD Blue

UPDATE: I plugged my original ADATA SP550 back in and I booted successfully. I don't know if all my other drives are shot somehow... God I hope not, but I'm going to see if I can maybe restore everything from this drive. Let me know if there is anything I should be doing here, what I may have done wrong, and what might be going on with my drives.

Also, what IS the most efficient way to reformat your drives while ALSO moving windows to a different one?

Solution
G
Windows under GPT expects to find drives where they are. You can't just reformat drives, remove them, mix in new ones.

What are you trying to do? If you only have 3 connections, put the 3 drives you want, and go with that.
G

The most efficient way is to plug in only one drive, install windows on it, shut down the pc, plug in the other drives, go to disk manager and format the new drives.

PopeCheese

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

No, I'm not connecting or disconnecting drives while the system is powered on, except for pulling out that USB as the system was restarting.

And okay, I'll keep that in mind.

At this point, I've successfully formatted the 1TB HDD and 500GB SSD, while booted into windows from the 240 ADATA.

I only have 3 readily available connections for drives, so at this point i shut down, removed those drives, plugged my 250 evo back in to reformat that, but now I can't get windows to DO anything. Even when I take the 250 evo back out. Anything I attempt to do, open disk management, open task manager, start a program, it hangs for about 5 minutes then tells me "Windows can't find C:\Windows\System32\mmc.exe", which is ridiculous, because I can find that file right where it says it is....

I'm not sure what my best option from here is.

G

Windows under GPT expects to find drives where they are. You can't just reformat drives, remove them, mix in new ones.

What are you trying to do? If you only have 3 connections, put the 3 drives you want, and go with that.

Solution