Installing Windows 10 on new drive from old corrupt drive

ikurza

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
Ok so i changed from Amd to Intel without fresh install an my OS is super corrupted i get kernal inpage data blue screens an i can barely keep it on before it blue screens either to windows blue screen or straight blue screen so my HDD is pretty much done i have an external with my important files on it. An i got a 250 SSD Drive an a 2Tb HDD, how would i get the uncorrupt windows 10 from the old drive an install it to SSD so i can boot from that an toss out the old drive an use external to put all data in new HDD i upgraded from windows 7 ultimate to windows 10 pro

Solution
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

easiest way is a fresh install of win 10 on the ssd... it would have also fixed the hdd too as that is likely all it needs to work. So your choice which you install win 10 on to

only problem might be activating win 10 as if you just swapped the ssd over, its unlikely it would be activated.

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and might reactivate once finished. If it doesn't, go to this page and deactivate your old PC from the list: https://account.microsoft.com/devices and then follow second part of this link to move licence - reactivating win 10 on...

Colif

Win 11 Master
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

easiest way is a fresh install of win 10 on the ssd... it would have also fixed the hdd too as that is likely all it needs to work. So your choice which you install win 10 on to

only problem might be activating win 10 as if you just swapped the ssd over, its unlikely it would be activated.

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and might reactivate once finished. If it doesn't, go to this page and deactivate your old PC from the list: https://account.microsoft.com/devices and then follow second part of this link to move licence - reactivating win 10 on new hardware

if that doesn't work, there are contact details on bottom of the activation page to contact MS. Explain to them what you did and if you have old licence key or email address you used to upgrade win 7, then they should tfr licence for you.

Solution