How do i approach my ISP about inconsistent and slow internet speeds.

manav.m08

Prominent
Sep 17, 2017
So about 2 months ago i switched ISP's from Bell to Rogers (Canadian companies). With Bell i had a 25mbps down and 5mbps up plan and i would get around what was advertised. A couple months before i had switched, the speeds dropped to around 1 to 5 down and it was unbearable. When i switched to rogers, i purchased the 150mbps down and i believe 10mbps up plan. For the first week i got speeds as advertised, ping was fine, etc... no problems. Everything was down hill ever since. Speeds for the download fluctuate between 0.03mbps down and 20mbps down. I haven't seen a speed test (done on the google speed test) higher than 20mbps down after that first week. I play Call of Duty a lot with my friends and in order to connect with other friends, you need an open NAT(Network Address Translation) type and i constantly have a moderate to strict nat type which is annoying as is. On top of all of this, i have a very unstable connection with the ISP, the internet will drop at times and come back after 10 minutes or so (not wifi dropping, actual connection to the internet). I do not know what to say to my ISP that will actually result in some solution to my problem. PLEASE HELP i am going to kill myself if i have to go another month with bad internet.
*Note the problems are consistent with a wired and wireless connection.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Call them and ask them to send a tech out to troubleshoot the problem. Tell them you are not satisfied with the service as is and need it corrected. It shouldn't cost you anything if the issue is on their end. if they find the problem is on your end, they will probably charge, but you should end up with the reason for the issue at least.

notlim981

Distinguished
It is a fact that you don't get the full contracted speeds, but 20mbps in a 150mbps plan is way too slow. You should check with rogers to see what gives. As you also had such speed drop with Bell, it could be the area where you live doesn't get a clean signal, if so, the ISP most likely knows that and should be able to tell you.

ARICH5

Distinguished
i notice you said this happens with wifi AND a wired connection? right? if your isp says there is no problem id blame your computer then. mobo drivers. lan drivers, bad cables, AV interfering.

I struggled with my Xfinity service randomly dropping upload speed to absolutely zero - or Internet dropping completely at times. I was eventually able to get escalated up through levels of tech support while it was happening. If you are able to call out and talk to them while it's happening, or document when it happens, perhaps you'd be able to get someone useful on the other end of the phone as well.

They confirmed that the modem (their own, otherwise I'm sure they would have tried to blame mine) was working and communicating back; then sent out a team to check the connections in the area since there were a lot of service calls in the area.

About a week later, I saw a team of Comcast vans close by, and it's been relatively more reliable since.