Good upgrade from PowerColor R9 270x?

komlenicm96

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Hello everyone,

As the title says, I'd like to buy new GPU card for my current PC spec. I can't really say it's that "old" system but I don't plan into investing a lot into this one because maybe in 2-3 years or so, I'm planning on buying "new gen PC". I wanted a bit better performance for 1080p gaming. Considering a budget, lets say around 250$.

This is my current PC build:
Intel i7 4770
MSI H81 (does have only 2 RAM slots)
PowerColor R9 270x 2gb GDDR5 256bit
Kingston HyperX 8gb (2x4gb) DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
Raidmax 650w
1TB HDD Seagate Barracuda

Just quick note:
I do own LG Flatron E2240 21.5" monitor (without HDMI) on 60hz with resolution 1920x1080. Currently in games I do have screen tearing. I'm not really into bunch of FPS, but I'd like to have STABLE and constant 60 FPS (with VSync because of screen tearing) without any lag and stuttering in games.

I will take here as example, this new game that I like a lot, it's Playerunknown's Battlegrounds
(I'm aware that game is not optimized yet and that is currently early access). But, within parachuting down from the plane and reaching ground, objects are rendered very slow, houses and all other textures are not loading for whole minute-two, in that period, someone who has better PC simply enters house, picks up weapon and kill you without even making your textures load, it can annoy very much. In my case, it doesn't matter if I play it with VSync or without, performance are SAME. Game is running with all tweaks I could find on internet (Anti-A is High,Textures are Low/Medium,rest is Very Low). If I lower textures, as well as Anti-A, all I see on my screen is a lot of moving pixels, nothing else. It runs 30-60 FPS with BUNCH of stuttering and mini lags which makes game really unplayable.

So, I was planning to purchase something that could play some newer games like PUBG and some better "older" games like Battlefield 1,The Division and GTA 5 which currently can play on my PC with VSync on constant 60 FPS without any lag/stuttering (On Medium settings). But, would be better if I could play it at least on High or so. If I disable VSync, I do get more FPS ( most FPS I get is in GTA 5 but game is very irritating to play with all those white lines flying around screen), but still, some mini stuttering can happen in games like The Division (PvP in DarkZone) while aiming and trying to shoot enemy.

Other problem may be my RAM. It's 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz. Motherboard does have only two slots and I wasn't planning on investing a lot into this current build.

I would be very happy if you could help me out with my choice or simply saying your opinion on what to do and what to upgrade. Maybe there is some other solution than my GPU?

Thanks everyone for answers.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

gtx 1060 6gb

your ram is not an issue

Considering the budget of 250$, The 1060 3 GB variant or the 1050ti 4 GB is a good upgrade. If you can spend a little higher, then the Nvidia 1060 6 GB variant should be your choice.
[P.S: 1050ti is a very good card considering the price to performance ratio.]