question about install a second os on the hdd

gianniscfa

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016
hello, i have windows 10, which is installed on my ssd, i have an hdd 500gb, which there being installed some guys, i dont wanna delete them, i wanna install kali linux , do i need to format the hdd to install the kali linux? i cant move them one the ssd cuz they are almost 100gb , and the ssd is 250 gb .. is it imposibble to install the kali linux without format the hhd ?

Solution

If a VM is sucking up too much resources on your PC, you PC is too weak. I routinely run 2 or 3 VM's, along with the Win 10 Pro host system.

But yes...

arniespace

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
Linux has a different formatting than Windows, so you would need to format when you install Linux. You can split the 500gb hard drive and format the new partition for Linux. To be safe, I would copy the files you need to save to a DVD or external drive before attempting it.

gianniscfa

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

thats right, didnt thought it , i had a partition on my hdd , but took my almost one week to figure out who to merge them ;p so , i dont wanna format the hdd , so i wanna make a partition , would have any difference in the performance if i install the kali linux on the partition and not on the entire driver ? thanks .

edit: i do not have external drivers , i need a big size dvd to copy all these games . so the solution is the make a partition .

USAFRet

Titan
1. Why Kali Linux? That is not a beginners OS.

2. If all you have is a single drive, yes, you'll have to shrink the existing partition, and create a new one. Linux will actually make several partitions in the space you designate.

3. Your booting up options will be completely different.

4. Unless you really know what you are doing, I strongly recommend running that Linux OS from a USB or DVD for a few months, to get your feet wet.

5. If you do decide to go down this path, I strongly recommend a full drive image of your current setup before you touch any partitions.

gianniscfa

Reputable
Jan 24, 2016

Hello, i want to use kali linux because of its tools , its not first time i do that , i made that post because i care about the games that i have installed on my hdd , it would be like my second os . just for the tools that has installed .i could use virtual machine but i dont like it , while running vm windows 10 taking all the sources and the speed on the kali linux is weak , thats why i prefer the usual installation , will i lose the games if i do a partition and install kali linux on it? but the kali linux will be installed on the new partition that doesnt contain the games.

USAFRet

Titan

If a VM is sucking up too much resources on your PC, you PC is too weak. I routinely run 2 or 3 VM's, along with the Win 10 Pro host system.

But yes, you can dualboot with that Kali Linux.

What drive do you have?
I'd need to see a screencap of your current Disk Management window for specific recommendations, but you would shrink your current partition, leaving enough open space for the Kali.
Then, during the Kali install...tell it to use that new empty space.

Be careful...it is easier than you might think to screw this up.
Which is why I strongly recommend a full drive image on a whole other drive before you start this process.

Solution

arniespace

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

arniespace

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
When you install Linux you will have the option to split the drive (partition). I would advise you to back up the files you want to protect, especially if you've never done this before. I've never messed with Kali, but I've installed Linux many times, and there are differences in the installers. You need to resize the partition you have and create a new one from the unused space. You also would need to format this partition for Linux. It's also a good idea to create a swap partition, which is formatted differently. The installer will have the tools to do all of this, but if you don't do it correctly you could lose the data on the drive.

TRENDING THREADS