Need help/info on HDMI (MHL) port that is on Dell U2715H/17D which according to some Reviews doesnt receive Full Resolution

darvinlamvin

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Hi, Id like to connect two of these monitors, either two Dell U2715H or two Dell U2717D, and both have DisplayPort option, and HDMI (MHL) option..

My GPU gtx 970 has one DVI-I, one DVI-D, one DisplayPort and one HDMI on it.. Now it would be obvious to use DP connection on main monitor with that one DP connection on GPU to get 2560x1440, 60Hz, however the other one I am concerned about is if I can connect the HDMI (MHL) connector on monitor with HDMI connector on GPU via quality HDMI cable (the type we use for 4k Tv), and still get 2560x1440, 60 Hz like that..

I am asking this, hoping that someone knows exactly what I am talking about as I read many reviews where people were not able to connect HDMI (MHL) monitor port with PC and get higher than 2048xsomething resolution, what would be unacceptable for me..

So again to recapitulate, the question is if the HDMI (MHL) port on monitor will gladly receive a full QHD 2560x1440 resolution at 60 Hz if I connect it to HDMI on Gpu, thru quality HDMI cable..

Thank you x)

darvinlamvin

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

Alright I think you might be right, I was digging hard on this subject thru the internet on this and similar problems and I found a thread that talk about the problem not getting full QHD resolution via HDMI but achieving it at full when connected thru DP.. Well it appears that some older and newer dell monitors have this feature in settings called MST, that is "On" by default, where it affects the HDMI (MHL) input the monitor has, thus receiving only 2048x1152 resolution.. Looks like turning that feature "Off" seems to resolve this issue for users that wish to have it connected via HDMI..

Thanks for your response tho, I hope this thread will help to some people who will run into the same issue in the future..

darvinlamvin

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

Something similar is even in user manual but for other model where the issue is with getting a full 4k res. It suggests switching the MST to primary or secondary option so I guess its made in a way where it behaves differently on different port types as some kind of their limitation using the function.. I am not 100.00% sure tho