i5 6600K Overclocking Help

connorroweamazon

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Hi Guys,

I need a little help with overclocking my i5 6600K, I used to have a stable overclock of 4.4ghz @1.36v with temps being around the 70 mark under 100% load however I recently reset the defaults by mistake and cant seem to find that sweet spot again.

I have managed to get a stable overclock of 4.4ghz @ 1.365v but my temps are hitting 82 at 100% load. I play a game called P3D which is a flight simulator and is very very CPU dependent, about an hour or 2 into a flight my speakers make a buzzing sound and it freezes do I know the OC is failing I just don't know how to rectify it.

I plan on replacing the CPU within the next year as its not that old.

What what I have read on other forums and posts I see people using voltages of 1.25v stable at 4.4ghz and just wanted to check to see if there is anything I can do to reduce the temps or find that sweet spot.

My MOBO is Gigabyte Z170 Gaming K3.

I'll attach my stats.

https://imgur.com/a/UGTa1

Any help would be appreciated.

John Philips

Reputable
May 3, 2014
I believe your temperature may be crashing your PC, try running the game with a cpu temperature monitor at the same time, these programs come with a logger (which can be enabled or disabled) and then, during gameplay, alternate via alt+tab to check the temperatures. Are you using a water or air cooler?

connorroweamazon

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I am using a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus air cooler but never had any issues with it, its a fairly new build it just this damn overclock :( I have run the game with CPUID HW open and can see my temps are are around the 75 mark.

Is the voltage im at now safe?

How well you can do is determined by your luck in getting a good chip.

As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.40v Vcore.

I5-6600K

4.9 14%
4.8 38%
4.7 67%
4.6 87%

82c. seems nominal.
What is your cooler, and what is your case/fan arrangement?
Any cooler needs a source of fresh air to do it's job.

If you leave all voltages on auto, that is where I would start.
Set your all cores multiplier to 44 and see what vcore you get.
1.4v should be tops.

Run your ram at stock voltages. I found that higher ram voltages seemed to take away a multiplier.

connorroweamazon

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
I still don't know whats causing the PC freezing and speakers to make the buzzing sound.

I have removed and cleaned the CPU fan, RAM and the GPU.

I have run Furmark for 10+ mins with no issues, I have successfully run the Intel Stress Test on all levels without issues. I have for the time being reverted back to stock settings, I have 2 new sticks of RAM coming tomorrow just in case and if its not then I have 8GB for free.

If my P3D continues to crash on stock settings then I know its not my OC that's causing the crashes.

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
To be honest, 4.4ghz isn't really considered an overclock so there shouldn't be a whole lot of problems. Since you are, try and keep core speeds and voltages steady by:

Set LLC to High
advance voltage settings, vcore set to 1.25v-1.3v
Core 44
Uncore 43

Voltage shouldn't see 1.3v. you drew 100watts....... package got Litt =)

connorroweamazon

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Thank you, i'll give it ago, I have created another thread for a different issue so i'll copy it in here in case you know what might be causing it.

Hi guys, my PC has started freezing on me and making a loud buzzing sound through my speakers when playing P3D.

=============================================
Tests Completed so far - OC 4.4ghz @ 1.38v

Prime 95 - Run for 1 hour with no issues.

Furmark - Run for 30 mins with temps being 65 at the most.

Run both at the same time and PC froze.

Changed OC to 4.3ghz @ 1.30v

Attempted to play P3D and crashed again.

I have run a windows RAM test with no issues.

Replaced 2 sticks of 4GB DDR 4 RAM this morning.

Run prime and Furmark together but no crash yet.

CPU temps have hit 82 at the highest.

I have reseated everything.

Cleaned the dust from the PC.

Made sure all the cables are connected properly.

I am also getting a kernel power error 41 in event viewer.
System Specs

Intel i5 6600K OC 4.3ghz @ 1.30v
Nvidia GTX 960 2GB
Tobisha 1TB HDD
Corsair 650W PSU
16GB G.SKILL RIPJAW RAM
Hyper Evo 212 CPU fan cooler

connorroweamazon

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017
Another update.

I have run prime95 and furmark together for over an hour now and my PC hasn't crashed, this is on stock settings with no OC so could it be the OC causing my PC to crash?

L0stChild

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
First thing you should do is NOT go out and buy things without knowing the problem.

Keep things simple. Forget about the stress tests etc.
Load stock settings and continue on with your everyday tasks.

BTW, I have no clue why you are touching those kinds of voltages. Especially with an air cooler.

And you left out the motherboard info in your pc list.probably the most important of them all.

connorroweamazon

Prominent
Sep 18, 2017

Oh yeah sorry my mobi is GIGABYTE Z170 gaming K3.

Not gonna lie, I'm really new to OC and from what I read on other forums they said 1.4v is the max but managed to get the 1.28v running on prime 95 without failing straight away so I will run prime95 for 24 hours to see if it's stable.