Pimax 8K HMD Available For Preoder Through Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
2x 4k screens are not = to 8k. Pixel wise it's close to 6k.
Unless I'm getting confused and it's actually 2x 4k per eye, in which case I stand corrected.
If that is the case, good luck driving 8k even with a dual 1080ti set-up.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Finally a smart move, a HMD with DisplayPort. I was stunned to see that current PC VR HMD's only use HDMI while Displayport has more bandwidth, which can drive higher resolution displays, and allows for longer cables. This is a headache as many of these high-end videocards haven't got enough HDMI ports.

I thought of getting into it with Oculus'recent summer-offer but decided against it due to it's HDMI-connection (and the fact that my card's 2 HDMI ports are already used). Reading about how troublesome DP to HDMI adaptors might be I decided to wait.

IMHO both Oculus and HTC made a huge mistake by going for HDMI especially for a PC-connected HMD that requires a powerful GPU/system, of which most GPUs just have these unused DP-ports (which have certain advantages for VR). I assume that both companies future HMD units will be DP or HDMI+DP. If not then I'd might be tempted to go for these Pimax units instead.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I wondered but 1920x1080 for each eye. Thus 3840x1080 isn't that enough? I would think that FHD for each eye would give a nice picture and it is manageable with current cards, isn't it? Yes, these might be stupid questions but as a complete noop with regards to VR....

Diji1

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2012
I would think that FHD for each eye would give a nice picture and it is manageable with current cards, isn't it?

Manageable by video cards yes but it would lead to horrible image quality. Remember each screen is magnified so it's effectively right next to your eyeball so pixels become visible and very ugly at low resolutions.

You are correct their "5k" is actually just 2.5k x2. As is their "8k," it's just 4k x2. This is misleading at least and false advertising in the worst. A true 8k HMD would have something like 3840x4320 displays for each eye.

Still I appreciate that they are pushing the boundaries of resolutions. I think they would have been further ahead giving is a new resolution moniker like 4K2 or 8k/2. But marketing probably got in the way.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The Vive breakout box has both HDMI and mini-DP ports. It doesn't come with a mini-DP cable, but you can use the DisplayPort on you graphics card to run the Vive headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.