60hz vs 75hz for everyday use?

martwick

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011
Hey guys,

I want to change my current monitor since it's a bit too big for me and also flickers, my requirements are that the new one has an IPS display, is 23'' and is flicker free. So far I've narrowed it down to these two:

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/dell-23-monitor-p2317h/apd/210-aiib/monitors-monitor-accessories

http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-23MP68VQ-P

Now my main question is is it worth getting the LG for the 75hz refresh rate instead of the 60hz of the dell monitor? I'm not planning on gaming, just everyday browsing, watching videos and possibly a bit of work done. Would the experience be noticable smoother? From time to time I notice considerable tearing on my current 60hz screen when scrolling web pages but I'm not sure if it's because of the refresh rate. I'm still inclined to getting the dell one, even though it's a bit more expensive, since it's a more reputable brand, has a height adjustable stand and is actually certified to be flicker free instead of only advertised like the LG one. So what do you think, the dell 60hz or the lg 75hz? Thanks in advance.

Solution
For work and movies, 60Hz vs 75Hz does not really matter much, although 75Hz is still smoother.
For gaming, 75Hz is the better pick, definitely.

Both monitors have more or less equal picture reproduction quality.
Dell monitors tend to have better build quality and better OSD/GUI compared to LG, according to my experience.
The LG one has thinner bezel, this is important for some people.
The Dell one can act as USB hub, if you need this.
Both monitors have slightly different inputs, Dell (DP, HDMI, VGA/D-Sub) and LG (DVI-D, HDMI, VGA/D-Sub). I would pick DP instead of DVI-D but this is my preference.
The Dell one has adjustable stand, which quite important for me.

Both are flicker free a.k.a. the brightness is not controlled via PWM...
For work and movies, 60Hz vs 75Hz does not really matter much, although 75Hz is still smoother.
For gaming, 75Hz is the better pick, definitely.

Both monitors have more or less equal picture reproduction quality.
Dell monitors tend to have better build quality and better OSD/GUI compared to LG, according to my experience.
The LG one has thinner bezel, this is important for some people.
The Dell one can act as USB hub, if you need this.
Both monitors have slightly different inputs, Dell (DP, HDMI, VGA/D-Sub) and LG (DVI-D, HDMI, VGA/D-Sub). I would pick DP instead of DVI-D but this is my preference.
The Dell one has adjustable stand, which quite important for me.

Both are flicker free a.k.a. the brightness is not controlled via PWM method.

if you ask me, since 75hz is the only thing the LG one is better at. I would pick the Dell one.

Solution