100% cpu usage 0/20% gpu usage wierd cpu temps.

Necrofyl

Honorable
Aug 18, 2016
Hello guys.Please i need some huuuge help right here.First of all i was using asus p5pkl-am motherboard.i decided to upgrade my ram to 4 gigs,unfortunently my 2nd slot for ram was "broken" if u will.So i got other used mobo wich is intel dp35dp.Ive put all my parts in it and install new OS (both windows 7 and 10 no diference).So problem here is:I use MSI Afterburner to check temps/%usage for both gpu and cpu.I noticed every game i start is 0 to 10/12 fps,however Dishonored is only game working normaly (60+ fps all high even with AA enabled).Every single game i start is that insane low fps gpu temps never above 50c WHILE CPU IS GONE CRAZY.Cpu usage both cores 100% temps in idle are 50/53 in game goes to 66c.I also noticed in BIOS it says my cpu c2d e8200 2.66ghz AND UNDER THAT it says its only 2 ghz (same as cpu-z) but when i start any game cpu 100% usage cpu-z says its runing normaly at 2.66ghz,ive changed thermal paste aswell.here are my pc specs

Mobo:Intel dp35dp
ram:4 gb dual channel 800 mhz kingstone
gpu:nvidia gtx 550Ti
psu:550W (been working perfectly with this gpu)
cpu:c2d e8200 (not OC) 2.66 ghz

OLD MOBO WHEN ALL WORKED FINE
asus p5pkl-am
2 gb ram 800 mhz
c2d e8200
psu 550W
gtx 550Ti 1 gb gddr5 192 bits
hdd's same as now 500 gb+320 gb Sata

Please whoever can,help me asap.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Your CPU is quite a bit weaker than your GPU. All of the games that you play are maxing your CPU, and therefore the GPU won't be leveraged because it's waiting on instructions from the CPU, which is maxed and can't send as many instructions as the GPU is asking for.

You might want to check to see if you have any background processes running that might be taking up a bunch of your CPUs usage.

The only thing that you can do is upgrade your CPU. With your current temps I cannot recommend overclocking, and overclocking will not improve your performance much anyway.

Necrofyl

Honorable
Aug 18, 2016

That is exactly my problem.Before i upgraded my ram+new mobo i was able to run crysis 3 at solid 40+ fps at 2nd map (welcome to the jungle) now its only 6/7 fps.It was wierd temp and pc act wierdly since i put them all on this mobo (intel) i mainly play Cs:go and i was runing it perfectly never under 150 fps with this gpu+cpu b4 i changed mobo.Thanks for ur respond tho much respect.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017

If it happened after a mobo change, then the motherboard might be defective. Did you buy it used or brand new? Used products, motherboards included, may have issues with them.

Necrofyl

Honorable
Aug 18, 2016

Mobo was tested at my cousn (i got this gpu from him aswell).It worked fine when we tested it at hes place we used my 4 gigs of ddr2 ram/hes cpu c2d e8400 and hes gtx 660Ti that hes using atm.It worked nicely no bottlenecks gpu/cpu both were at around 80%/100% in game such as crysis 3 in welcome to the jungle (y sry i use that map to test if its working nicely or not).

OK, first tell me, did you do a fresh installation of windows 10/windows 7 whichever you are using at the moment. If you didn't, then first do that. Also reset the CMOS by pulling the battery off the motherboard and waiting for 30 secs or more and then reseat the battery back into the motherboard. Also, make sure you use a good thermal paste like the cooler master mastergel maker nano which i prefer bdw or get yourself the MX4 thermal paste. But the temps seems fine as at 100 % load, 66 celcius is very much acceptable. Also, run intel diagnostics tools (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool) and report back the results.
Also, this issue gets presented if the motherboard pin got bent while installing the cpu but first try the above steps and if the problem isn't fixed, then will go ahead with further testing.

Necrofyl

Honorable
Aug 18, 2016

Finnaly fixed it.Intel mobo was a problem,ive put my old asus p5pkl-am,put all back in it and works like charm 100% cpu usage is max temp @53 while playing far cry primal/crysis 3.Thanks alot for help i appreciate it.Have a nice day bro