Why does my Titan X cost more than the GTX 1080?

mnewby

Reputable
Aug 30, 2015
How come my Titan X retails for more than the GTX 1080 and yet I'm hearing advice on other forums here that an upgrade for me would be the less expensive GTX 1080 which has better performance, and yet the Titan X to this day cost more than the GTX 1080?

Cioby

Distinguished
Older generation GPUs are sold at the same price as they were when they launched (more or less). So it's usually not a good idea to buy older generations. TitanX tho is almost as good as 1080 and 980ti. But you're better off buying a Titan XP which is newer and the same price. Tho the 1080ti is better for gaming.

Pascal is nvidia latest generation. When nvidia launch pascal based gpu those gpu were even faster than titan x maxwell that coming out a year earlier. Per nvidia marketing even gtx1070 is faster than titan x maxwell.

One thing about the titan series though: nvidia will never drop it's price even if they are coming out with much faster gpu in the future. The titan series originally sold for it's compute performance. Though there is nothing really special with titan x maxwell compute wise. The only advantage it has was the massive amount of VRAM

Mar 1, 2018

980 ti is good and all, but it has much less performance compared to say a 1060, then 170, then a 1080. I don't personally know about the titan X and 1080 benchmarks, never owned one, but I have a friend with a 970 and a i7 5th gen, I had a 1060 with an i3 4th gen and I out perform him in every game (both skill and benchmark). I don't mean to throw shade, i'm tired r n, but use this to be informed; just because it's good, doesn't mean it can be on an equal ground...

DSzymborski

Titan

A 980 Ti is more powerful than a 1060. A 1060 is a hair faster -- though essentially the same given the margin -- as a non-TI 980.

TRENDING THREADS