Microstutters only a single user account?

healthymeal

Commendable
Aug 12, 2017
Well for the past few months I've been having issues with microstutters and FPS drops, a Nvidia tech support agent suggested I make a new account that's local and doesn't have admin privileges and see if the issues persists. It fixed the issues but when I returned to my main account the issues are still there. How do I fix this?

Solution
a program that is running in the background is using authority to take cpu/disk time, when you use an account with no admin privilages, that background program does not have the authority to do it without request. micro stutters stop because you have no background programs taking up your power.

a more indepth view would be: what kind of program wants admin privilages to take up cpu/disk; but when it does not have them, does not ask for them (the normal 'this program requires admin privilages to run' window pop-up request). un-official program installation?

best bet is to create a new account with admin priv's. If the new account is stutter free, then delete your old admin account.
if micro stutters persist then you need to start...

healthymeal

Commendable
Aug 12, 2017

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700 @ 3.60GHz 44 °C
Kaby Lake 14nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1199MHz (17-17-17-39)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B250M-DS3H-CF (U3E1) 28 °C
Graphics
VX2457 (1920x1080@60Hz)
ASUS VH198 (1440x900@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte) 36 °C
Storage
119GB Ironside Titanium 128GB SSD (SSD)
1863GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200 (SATA) 38 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma

KahouAoki

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
So you said that the stutters are gone on a clean user account? Maybe there's something that you've installed that runs in the background, eating up cpu resources.
Also, make sure that you've got the latest BIOS on your board, there's been some problems with hyperthreading on Lake chips.

SoggyTissue

Estimable
Jun 27, 2017
a program that is running in the background is using authority to take cpu/disk time, when you use an account with no admin privilages, that background program does not have the authority to do it without request. micro stutters stop because you have no background programs taking up your power.

a more indepth view would be: what kind of program wants admin privilages to take up cpu/disk; but when it does not have them, does not ask for them (the normal 'this program requires admin privilages to run' window pop-up request). un-official program installation?

best bet is to create a new account with admin priv's. If the new account is stutter free, then delete your old admin account.
if micro stutters persist then you need to start un-installing / disabling installed programs and apps until you find the culprit.

Solution

healthymeal

Commendable
Aug 12, 2017

Well looking at the task manager I see about 30% of pc is being used while idle but I see only around 10% being used by apps and background processes, what would be causing this?

KahouAoki

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2015
Bloatware, malware, etc. Go to "programs and features" and look through the list thoroughly, checking if you remember installing everything. Also, go to msconfig and check the startup tab to see if anything unusual is set to start when you log in.

healthymeal

Commendable
Aug 12, 2017

When I do that everything is in order.

healthymeal

Commendable
Aug 12, 2017

When I do that everything is in order.