Regularly Sky-High Idle Memory and Disk Usage

crymson84

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
Hi,

I've been having a recurring problem with idle memory usage in Windows 10. Memory usage will start out around 35% after a reset--this seems high but is acceptable--but will gradually increase over the next several hours. It will eventually end up at a perpetual 85%+, sometimes as high as 95% with no active programs. I have 8GB of RAM; the total sum of all active programs shown in Task Manager does not even approach 4GB, let alone 8GB, yet the extreme memory usage remains.

I have gone through and disabled all non-essential startup programs. No dice. Nothing works. Does anyone have any suggestions beyond a clean reinstall of Windows?

I also find that my Windows 10 is hugely prone to 100% disk usage. Again, there is generally nothing evident in Task Manager to suggest why this is happening.

Thanks in advance.

crymson84

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017

I looked through Performance Monitor just now (after a restart) and totaled all of the current memory-consuming processes. Counting Firefox, these totaled around 2.3 GB (I was liberal in my addition, so this is a bit of an overestimate). At the same time, my total RAM usage was 3.5 GB and rising. If it keeps to common trend, RAM usage will continue rising until it's well above 6GB, despite the total RAM commitments actually being well under 3 GB. I'm stumped.