"This app can't run on your PC" even though it was working perfectly fine.

sgreedy5

Prominent
Sep 22, 2017
I have been playing this game called Black Desert Online without any problems whatsoever. Today, I went out to buy a drink and closed the game(just like how I close it any other time), and when I came back to my PC (maybe 10-15 minutes passed) I tried to open the game and it gives me the error "This app can't run on your PC" and below it says "To find a version for this PC, please check with the software publisher". Nothing should have changed within the time I was gone, and all I did was exit the game, and when I came back it no longer works.

wmelliott1970

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hey there Sgreedy, I have the same exact thing going on. Except it happens on everything I try to play, whether it's a Steam game or Blizzard Entertainment or a Uplay...anything.It has been completely screwing my computer since November'ish of last year. I have probably wipe my PC at least 6 times in the last 7-9 months trying to get rid of what ever this is. Here are two different times I have posted on Microsoft Support and all I get is canned responses. 1. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/this-app-cantwont-run-on-you-pc-tried-multiple-web/c307c745-013a-4d6e-922b-4f78c9ffd375?tm=1531747265985&auth=1

2. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/this-app-cantwont-run-on-you-pc-tried-multiple-web/cf9273d5-0275-4611-b9fc-15ac80dcd2df

I have searched every dark crevice I can think of to find a fix. I have two other PC's in the house and none of them suffer from this. The error or the game crashing/or full-screen Youtube video playing happens about 5 or 6 times a day now. What's funny is I can play old games or very low impact games all day. Minecraft, Baldur's Gate, etc etc. But if I fire up anything remotely knew, say in the past 10-15 years. My computer will run it for about 25 to 40 mins and then I will start noticing lag spikes and then it will just end. Once it the game or the application I'm running crashes nothing else works. I can't open a web page, I can't open Task Manager, DXdiag, Computer Management. I can't even Shut down or restart. It just hangs and a black screen forever. I have to hold power for 3 seconds. I don't have anything on this PC except Word, VLC, 7 Zip, and about 50 Games. That's about the extent now. I have Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer also because I started to mod Fallout 4 and Skyrim SE, but then the blue error window started popping up about midway through modding the games. I just stopped.

I have no idea what to do now. Only thing I can think of doing is just burning this PC down and sucking it up and just buying a new one. Nothing I have tired in the past 8 months has worked.

I am sorry you have to deal with this as well. I just plain awful and even more frustrating than that. I basically have a $2000.00 paperweight.

-- A fella over at Reddit, by the name of u/Zutch, has given me a small bit of hope as of last night. he told me he accidentally found out that he had a virus/malware called: w32. Jeefo.a virus and that it was installed with Steam. It has now spread to every drive he has steam on. Here is the reddit link with our conversation. I am running Microsoft Security Scanner now, its been running for 52min and still on the C drive and nothing. I ran HitmanPro malware scanner he suggested. It only found 16 tracking cookies in my temp folder. (he mentioned that it had a free 31 day free full trial but the DL i used from the Sophos website didn't/wouldn't scan for anything other than cookies and no free full use 31 day trial. So I really hope this Microsoft Saftey Scanner really works. I really have no idea what to do next other than take this paperweight outback and use it as target practice with my M4. --

If anyone can help out, you just have no idea how grateful I would be.
I just graduated college with two bachelors at 48yo, I've filled out over 1300 job applications, from all over the world and yet here I am 4 months later still unemployed. I have absolutely no way to purchase another PC. I can't tell you how much me being able to just sit down at night and try to play a game or watch a video, just to unwind less I just cry myself to sleep at night trying to figure out what the hell I'm going to do when I can't even get a job at the local Walmart!
Anyway, that went sideways. Take care all. Luck and loot to you all.

Regards,
Matthew

try to disable smartscreen and run it, if it will work, then it should be related to you account settings