SSD M.2 Storage

MunnaBhai79

Commendable
Sep 25, 2016
Hi All... Thank you in advance for your help.

So I am building a new rig with the following specs:

1. Processor : Ryzen 7 1700
2. Motherboard : ASRock X370 Taichi
3. Ram : CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz
4. GPU : Undecided
5. Storage : Undecided
6. Case : Phatek P400s Tempered Glass

Background: As a profession, I build software for clients. Run different database engines on my computer (MS SQL, MySQL, Postgres, MongoDB and etc..) Part of what I do is also graphics work, but not heavy. However, I do want the color accuracy as much as possible.

I am not a gamer, I think the last game I played was like Pac-Man or Super Mario Brothers, but I do like watching movies from time to time. I want to build a nice rig for myself now. I think I owe it myself after so many years.

I want to make the best out of the Taichi motherboard. I figured since its got a M.2 Gen 3 ultra slot, lets take advantage of it. I have been looking at this WD WDS256G1X0C. It says it transfer data at 8 GB/S. I don't know too much about these drives and want to be sure I am buying the right stuff. I'm looking to build a rig that loads everything really quick. Now the Taichi board also has 3 other PCI Slots and another M.2 Gen 2 slot, but I got no idea what to use them for an how to take advantage of this board as I'm not a gamer. Some of you may say why did I get then, its a nice board, so I got it.

Anyhow, I need help or suggestions with picking the correct drives here. I will be running 2 OS primarily, WIndows and Linux. I am thinking the following:

1. PCIe Gen3x4 = Windows
2. PCIe Gen2x4 = Linux
3. Get a HDD to store my files/data on it and share it between Windows and Linux.

So, to make the best out of the board, I'd like to know if the WD Storage device is good enough and will I get the top speeds out of it. Additionally, I want to know if how I am thinking to setup with 3 drives is also correct or not. Any additional input would also be very helpful.

Thanks and sorry for the long post and hopefully I'll get some decent responses here.

Thanks.