Random System Freeze, Need Help

vmgta5

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017
I just build a new gaming PC with Windows 10 and as soon as I start it up, it randomly freezes and then restarts.

It show a Blue Screen saying CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (My windows is not the latest version). Does it have something to do with windows not being activated?

I searched the internet and found out it's got something to do with the CPU, mine is the-
Ryzen 5 1600.

PLEASE HELP.

Achint2000

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2013
If you're using Windows 10 and it's not updated to the latest version, update it from Windows Update in control panel.

Refer to this post: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2342759/fix-clock-watchdog-timeout-error.html

Note that the error you stated can be caused by any part of your hardware. Do a clean start - Disconnect all external and USB devices.
It can also be your motherboard's BIOS. A BIOS Update might fix it.

Solution

vmgta5

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

I'll check the windows.

My BIOS is latest and all USB are shown GOOD in Device manager

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

have you cleared cmos and loaded default settings? If not go into the bios and do so.

could also be a bad power supply, buggy motherboard software, or temps too high because of overclock or improperly installed cpu cooler

check the above one by one, the cpu is the last culprit as they are not usually faulty unless you bent some pins installing it

also post complete specs

vmgta5

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

Complete specs-

Ryzen 1600 (Wraith spire)
B350 Gaming 3 (BIOS ver. 9)
G Skill TridentZ RGB- F4-3000C16D-16GTZR
Aorus GTX 1060 6GB
WD Blue 1TB + WD Green 240GB SSD
Corsair CX650 650W PSU

Windows 10 64bit (10.0.10240 Build 10240)

Edit-
What's buggy motherboard software?
My PC runs fine in safe mode. (No, I jinxed it)

vmgta5

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

Then i'll update my windows.

CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT

means some hardware did not respond within a timeout.

on a new system, it can be something like one cpu core trying to install a driver using plug and play while another core is waiting to use the driver. if the driver install fails over and over then the second core hits its timeout and calls this bugcheck.

if you can change your memory dump to kernel and provide the c:\windows\memory.dmp file
then someone can load it into the debugger and type the command !pnptriage and maybe get an idea of what failed.

you could also, update the BIOS and motherboard drivers. the motherboard audio driver often conflicts with the various GPU sound drivers and cause timeouts. old USB drivers and can mess up the USB subsystem and even cause timeouts on the PCI/e bus.

most of the time people get this type of problem when they update from windows 7 to windows 10. Often a clean install will prevent the problem. (assuming you have updated the BIOS and motherboard drivers from the motherboard vendors website)

https://www.reviversoft.com/blog/2013/01/clock-watchdog-timeout/

*before anything, make sure to do a full pass of MEMTEST86 www.memtest86.com (may need to select USB stick from BIOS) to test your DDR4 memory

Probably not the issue. I also doubt you BENT any pins or you probably couldn't even boot or would have worse issues.

So far, the ONLY solution I found was someone rolling back to a PREVIOUS BIOS version though I don't know what motherboard you have.

OTHER:
I don't know if you overclocked, but if so go back to DEFAULT settings. If you did not overclock, maybe try keeping the same clock but raise the VOLTAGE slightly. I've seen a voltage increase help.

It's hard to say exactly what the issue is but it may be the MOTHERBOARD settings for the CPU creating some instability.

*If still stumped, contact the MOTHERBOARD manufacturer.

OTHER:
You can also try running a Linux distro like Ubuntu from a USB stick to see if it has any issues. You'd then know if it's more specific to Windows or not.

vmgta5

Prominent
Sep 15, 2017

Thx for helping,
The article is really helpfull.
But right now I ran into another one of the random PC building probs, so won't be able to check these soon.

That aside,

1. I checked the RAM for problems using Run and Command Prompt, will Memtest be better?

2. I haven't overclocked, i'll still try the voltage

3. I have the Gigabyte B350 gaming 3. I'll try the different BIOS if nothing works.

4. How do I change motherboard settings for the CPU?

Thx again