PSU for Ryzen 1700 and Aorus 1080ti

corjslik96

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
Hey guys I just recently put together my new build with a ryzen 7 and Aorus 1080ti. My mobo is an ASRock ab350 pro and i have 16g of ram. I salvaged my PSU from my last PC and it is a 850w corsair HX850. It seems to be crapping out as Im getting kernel power 41 event error while trying to play PUBG. My question is what PSU wattage do I need to run this system, I ordered a 650 watt evga 80+ gold and earlier I did the newegg calculator for my system and it said I need at least 677w. Will the 650w i ordered work or will I have to return and get a Higher Watt PSU. Thank you for any replies

corjslik96

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

It is an evga g2 650w

The Newegg calculator is such trash, like most calculators. Think of it this way, do you want to trust the calculator of the business that will make more money by selling higher wattage units?

A 450W PSU would be perfectly fine for your system.

corjslik96

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

Haha that makes sense, never thought of it that way, thank you for your confirmation

u meant a 650w psu right? cuz a ryzen /1080ti combo will take abt 500W without oc.

corjslik96

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

Yes I ordered a 650w, then the calc said I needed 677w, thought it sounded off so I asked you guys if I needed a 750w or if 650w would be good

corjslik96

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

Wow, that is so much lower than every power calculator I used. Thanks

Really?
The 1700 when overclocked uses abt 80ish?
The 1080ti at 80% load abt 220w?
That combo alone sets you by 300w. Add in all the other components, u r looking at 400-450w.
For a bit of a oc, u can get away with a 550w, run it through a stress test and you need a 650w cuz the power draw goes well beyond 100% in both cpu and gpu.
Anything wrong with what I said?

corjslik96

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

What's the best software to run a psu stress test

Going by HardOCP's review of the 1080Ti https://m.hardocp.com/article/2017/03/09/nvidia_geforce_gtx_1080_ti_video_card_review/12

Gaming load was 394W, but that is measured from the wall. PSU being a CX850M, efficiency would be about 87% at this load, making it 343W load.

That is with an I7-6700K @4.7Ghz so the CPU has a good overclock on it.

Your "other components" was a bit of an overassumption. Fans, motherboard, RAM, hard drives, etc. all will on average combined likely use around 30W combined under a typical gaming load.

All that is fine and good. But the psu should have enough juice in its 12v rail to power it. A lower wattage psu will have less juice, aka amps and hence a bust. That's y a 600w psu is the recommended minimum for the 1080ti.
So if suppose the psu is a 450w one, the max w on 12v will be around 325? That multiplied by 0.85 cuz of its efficiency will be enough to run it. But will be stressful imo. Reducing the lifespan of the psu.
Correct me if I am wrong ;)

Any decent modern day PSU will not be like that all power will "be on the 12V rail". And you don't multiply by efficiency, that's not how it work.s

Always, always, always take quality over wattage. A high quality low wattage PSU is better than a poor quality high wattage unit.

Wattage alone has so much non-standardization to it I could freaking make a website about it. Oh wait, I did, but since I'm too cheap to pay $20 a month I don't have it anymore.

The first thing ppl do to check whether a third class psu is actually giving the advertised wattage is by calculating the cpu and gpu v x amp. Then comes like group regulated design, efficiency, quality of components used etc, etc.,
And you are now saying that's not the case, I mean, u haven't given me a straight forward answer.
But anyways, thanks for the replies to all these follow ups till now :)

Calculating CPU and GPU wattage is not how you check if PSU is true to it's advertised wattage... That sentence doesn't make much sense.

It's quite straightforward knowing if they do, just any review that loads it to 100% will tell you that. What I'm saying is I'd rather take a low wattage PSU with higher quality components than a high wattage PSU with worse quality components.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with getting a good quality high wattage unit. It'll just cost a little more than the low wattage one and surprisingly will have little to no benefits in many (but not all) cases.

^ should have phrased better. my bad. what i meant was total amps x volts. since the cpu and gpu connections gives most of the power, we can figure if its atleast close enough. but yeah, i do get ur point. u were just taking things too literally ;)

TRENDING THREADS