Random freezing with new Ryzen build

chinson2005

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
Ok so a couple of months ago I built a new Ryzen system for a friend for his birthday. Now all of a sudden there are random freezes with no apparent reason.

Specs:
Mobo: Asrock AB350M Pro 4
CPU: Ryzen 5 1400
Ram: 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix 2400
PSU: Corsair CX650M
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
SSD: ADATA SU800 240GB
HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB

When I first built it I installed Windows 10 pro. I ran an overclock of 3.7ghz on the cpu and used the xmp profile for the ram. Everything ran fine until a couple weeks ago. He started getting random freezes for no seeable reason. We took off the overclock and ran the ram down to 2100 with no luck. Ran the ram down to 1866, still no luck. Tried all ram slots, and different sticks, all with the same result. Swapped the 1060 for a 750ti laying around, no luck. Tried completely different ram, no luck. The screen freezes right where it's at. Doesn't go black, no blue screen.. just stops. Maybe one in fifteen will go black and restart on it's own, but rarely. Windows event logs doesn't really show anything besides the unexpected shutdown from where we have to kill it after it freezes. I'm at a loss, and I really hate that I've built him his first real decent PC only to have this happen. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm to the point of trying to get an RMA for the mobo now. I don't know what else to try. We've wiped the drives and clean installed windows. Sometimes it'll freeze during the windows install even. Sometimes it's freezes after being on for a few minutes, sometimes it'll go all night. I'm stumped. Never had an issue like this before. We've wiped the drives and clean installed windows 4 times with the same result, so I don't see how it could possibly be a driver or any software issue. I've never dealt with a bad mobo before either, so I don't really know if this sounds like that kind of problem.

Solution
Hey dude, i have almost the same config, and i have the same issue. When i was checking on Asrock's forum, i found it might be a bios update problem. Not sure if u have heard of FMA3 problem but i do believe it is causing the shutter. Today i will be trying to roll back the bios to around Feb, as it was when this mb was released. I'll try it and let u know, good luck building and fixing.
Sounds really weird, Have you tried running Memtest86? sudden freezes sound like something a broken motherboard or psu would do, usually a breaking mobo shows other symptoms that get worse over time too though. Sudden freezes are also something breaking psus do but since that one is new(?) and quite over rated for that system, it doesn't really sound logical.

chinson2005

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017

Yes I ran Memtest86 and everything was fine. I thought the same of the PSU, especially being Corsair I wouldn't think it would go bad so fast. I've been on a CX600M since 2013 myself. The only reason I went so big with the PSU on this build was because it was on sale. I didn't mention it, but I also updated the BIOS during all of this, with no change. I also rolled everything back to what it was when I built it, still freezes. It also seems like the longer it's on the quicker it freezes. Like if I turn it off and back on right after a freeze, it'll freeze up even quicker the next time it seems. I know it's not heat. The CPU stays around 27 C the whole time.

A faulty hard drive can cause similar issues too, did you install windows always on the same drive? Did you have both drives plugged in when reinstalling Windows? Is there another drive you could install windows to? Also, have you tested another PSU on it?

chinson2005

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
I did try different drives. Tried isolating both drives that I built it with, and then tried a completely different one altogether. Same result. The PSU is the only thing I haven't swapped out. I guess I may do that today when I get home. If that doesn't fix it, then I'm lost completely. I guess board RMA would be the only thing left.

Yea, there's really nothing else left to blame than the mobo if the psu works.

justinlahey1

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
Hey, sorry to revive this thread but this is identical to my problem. New ryzen has worked fine for nearly one month then all of a sudden starts freezing all the time. I'm just wondering if you found a solution? I've tried everything.

vatsg2144

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017
Hey dude, i have almost the same config, and i have the same issue. When i was checking on Asrock's forum, i found it might be a bios update problem. Not sure if u have heard of FMA3 problem but i do believe it is causing the shutter. Today i will be trying to roll back the bios to around Feb, as it was when this mb was released. I'll try it and let u know, good luck building and fixing.

Solution

garlicbreadstick

Prominent
Jan 23, 2018
Hello
Hope this isnt dead and not sure why it's marked as solved. Im experiencing the same issue (as are a couple other folks on another thread) and we are trying to get to the bottom of this. The other thread the PSU was tested (voltages holding steady) by everyone so we are ruling that out. At this point we are trying diff ram and diff bios options (I dont believe this will work). I am starting to believe it is either mobo issues or OS issues. I am leaning away from OS issues as I ran into this situation using ubuntu. So if anyone else has any ideas (we've tried a LOT of them) please keep this alive.

Nov 14, 2018
Made an account to just add to this thread because I've had the *exact* same problem, down to the fact that the build is for a friend.

Specs: R5 1600X
Gigabyte B450 DS3H

Problem: Random freezes with no error codes. Freezes faster is the system has been rebooted, stays on longer if it's rested for hours. Freezes in BIOS (important).

Tested: Not temperatures. Used different RAM sticks. Used a different GPU. Used a different PSU. Tested running in bios without the HDD/SSD connected. Flashed BIOS.

Conclusion: I think it's a motherboard problem considering I'm having the problem persist in a fresh BIOS and I've isolated it down to the motherboard or CPU. I don't think it's a CPU problem because there would be errors/blue screen/ or BSODs if the CPU was failing and the CPU would have been having problems for the month prior to the build working fine. The motherboard is pretty cheap so I think there's faulty components between the RAM and the CPU or somewhere in the power management systems. I'm just going to get him to RMA the board and get a fresh one to see how it goes. I'll bookmark this and try and solve it for anyone that has this problem in the future.