adding physics card

thatoneguyjynx

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
i am trying to add a second card for physics its a gtx 55ti, the main card is a 980 gtx it uses dual 6 pin connections the 550 uses one, my psu has the duel 6 but not a third. can i use the 8 pin or will it not align the proper ground and such. i know the 980 is a tank but my wife is getting frame lag in pubg. so i added faster ram and wanted to off load physics to the smaller card. or will it run without the plug since its not pushing vid?

You could add a second card for PhysX, but I doubt you would see some substantial gains (especially if youre having PSU issues).
You have to supply it with the supplementary power, and it being such an older card may actually harm FPS if the primary card has to wait for the PhysX calculations.
What are you full specs?

thatoneguyjynx

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017

thank you, hopefully the ram will help..

iamacow

Admirable
A dedicated physx card with a new video card is actually worse these days. Your 980 will be waiting for the Physx card and take a bigger hit. The best results is to get an identical card for physx, but that is a major waste of money. You are better off getting a better card than throwing that 550 Ti in as a Physx card.

Also make sure that game is not software Physx, because at lot of them are to be compatible with AMD cards. You would be surprised how many games are actually just CPU driven and not offloading Physx to the video card.

TRENDING THREADS