System4 causing CPU utilization spikes, which causes hitching and stuttering in Windows 10.

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hello,
I built a fairly new computer with some very good hardware (1080ti, Ryzen 7 1700). For the longest time it has had hitching though which I just dealt with up until today. I would rather not have to do a clean install so I did some digging.
Based on my research I used sysinformation (Process Explorer) and have tracked down each spike to being "System4" (can be seen where my mouse is on the left graph). At this point I am stumped. How can I figure out which System process is causing this? I have all my latest Motherboard and WiFi card drivers installed.

JD21Tnt.jpg

Solution
I think I solved my issue by removing Bitdefender. I had been selective with what I had been installing onto my computer in order to avoid these exact issues. Bitdefender was said to be one of the best AVs in my research.

Anyways, apparently it sucks and was causing this and some really big performance hits in some other applications I use. I removed that application and haven't seen the hitch since.

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

Thank you for the suggestion. I have tried disabling all services my settings look like so:
Iojdpv2.png

D2ocRni.png
(Each item in the scrollbar is unchecked)

This prompted me to reboot, which I did. However, it appears that I still have the same CPU spikes showing in the Process Explorer, and the hitching corresponds with those.

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

have you reinstall windows yet?

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012

I'd rather not start my entire computer from scratch if I can avoid it, though I have just prepared a Windows 10 boot media in attempts to repair install it.

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

do that repair refresh windows I did not want to say it is a virus but if it is that will fixit

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Unfortunately this also did not solve the issue, the spike in System:4 still occurs causing stutter.

Is there any way the System:4 could indicate a problem at a lower level that could be caused by a script or something?

trampus123

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

try to disable windows update and see if it fixit I was reading on Microsoft forum and a bunch of people are having stuttering on the win10 creators update

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Sorry this is not a new issue, it is an old one. I have been dealing with it for a long time and only now have learned that it is definitely a software issue (due to finding the CPU spike) before that I thought it could also be hardware.

mrtissues

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
I think I solved my issue by removing Bitdefender. I had been selective with what I had been installing onto my computer in order to avoid these exact issues. Bitdefender was said to be one of the best AVs in my research.

Anyways, apparently it sucks and was causing this and some really big performance hits in some other applications I use. I removed that application and haven't seen the hitch since.

Solution