Taming the beast. I7 7700k. Please Read.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017
So I've currently been in a seemingly unending battle with this chip. I've experienced crazy high temps and inexplicable heat spikes, but today I'm putting an end to this war. I'm upgrading my hardware today (changing case, adding new fans, upgrading radiator) and I want to get an opinion on my choices. So here's some of the hardware changes I'm making:

Cooler Master Master Case 5 Pro
Corsair H100i v2
Corsair ML 120's
Corsair ML 140's

As most of you with general knowledge will know what the master case 5 brings to the table and seeing how I'm done battling with this beast here's my plan of attack.

Switching the included 140mm fans on the front for the Corsair ML 140's
Putting the Corsair H100i v2 on the top in a push/pull configuration adding the ML 120's
Switching the included 140mm fan on the back to a Corsair ML 140

I honestly feel like this may be a little overkill but I live in Texas in an older home with window units so my ambient temps are usually about 78-80 degrees fahrenheit and my chip has been struggling to keep cool in its current state. Any hardware suggestions or other thoughts are welcome. I'm still a bit new when it comes to building computers and I'm not to proud to admit when I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Serinox

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017

The bullet proof Noctua NH-D15 is whisper quiet (if it fits in your case, anyway, at 165 mm high or so), and does not experience pump failures... :) (It also offers quite reasonable temps, with 60-62C in gaming, 64C in Intel's stress test, and 71-73C peaks in Prime95/small FFTs...(temps stop rising after 12 minutes to level out at roughly 72C, little momentary peaks of 73C, back to 71C, etc...)

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016
I agree with mdd1963.

I use NH-D15s. Chip@4.9 with vcore 1.344. temps of high 70's prime small fft. Not delidded.

Corsair H100i v2 will be better than the cooler that you mentioned in your other thread, but will be noisy to achieve basically the same temps that you will get with a big air cooler. And of course will cost more.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

If you have any other suggestions I would be more than glad to hear them. I currently have a bottom intake case with:

2 x 180mm intake fans
1 x 120mm radiator for cpu cooling
1 x 140mm exhaust fan

After alot of tweaking my max temp now is usually 75c on one of my cores but before was spiking up to 86c and I didn't even want to use my pc at those temps.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

I'm not comfortable with delidding a cpu unfortunately or I would lol. I was getting temps upwards of 86 on one of my cores before tweaking the voltage.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

I see people raving over noctua products in both silence and reliability but honestly I hate their style. At that point I would get an R1 ultimate or a Dark Rock Pro 3 because with gaming and youtube videos and listening to spotify while editing I basically always have a headset on and so noise isn't a big deal.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

Great to hear from you again lol. As I stated before I see noctua is an amazing product but I just don't like their style. I also don't have low profile ram which is what kinda steered me away from air cooling. I'm honestly at my wits end with this chip and unfortunately had to disable hyperthreading to keep temps down. I had it set to 1.3v on the core and temps were about 72c but after about a day I came back to wake my pc from sleep and it had crashed. Then I tried 1.35v and again it ran there for about a day and then that got unstable as well. I don't know if I lost stability due to still have inefficient cooling so I wanna make sure I nail this thing.

Sedivy

Estimable
If you want liquid cooling, you can, but as was mentioned, they have their downsides, both in noise and in dependability.
Keep your intake/exhaust somewhat balanced if you're adding a radiator. Also consider putting your radiator in the front, instead of at the top, cause of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNAMxZgvves
Honestly though, if you type 7700K into these forums, you'll see that without custom liquid cooling or delidding, 70s is pretty good for 7700k when overclocked.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

Yes I've noticed that high temps with this chip are very common and I've watched that video before. The thing is that right now to achieve 70 degree temps I've had to disable hyperthreading. I'm starting to think that I just got crapped on when it comes to the silicon lottery.

biglizard

Respectable
Apr 1, 2016

Understood.

You may or may not have a bum chip on your hands, honestly I have yet to see a 7700k unstable at 1.35 @ stock frequencies. If this is truly the case then I would RMA that chip. Or return for refund if possible, Then you could get you some of this goodness, https://siliconlottery.com/collections/all/products/7700k50g. delidded already.

What are your other system specs? Ram, PSU? XMP enabled?

Are you running stress and stability test as you make changes? If not, No soup for you!

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

I literally can't even stress test it because it gets way too hot. I got my processor from outlet pc and it says they don't take returns on processors but this whole situation is ridiculous I may just have to raise hell till they can't ignore me. I looked on how to return it with intel and they had a program you could download to test your cpu and it passed but I don't think that means much.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QHrhbj

There's a look at my current components in my rig. Will be making changes here soon obviously.

spawnterror

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017

Yeah, you will be fine with that AIO. My OC 4.8Ghz runs 47-55 degrees while gaming on ultra, BF1, CS GO, VR, you name it. On software side it suits 30-33 jumping to 40-45 depending on specific software dema, eg FLS stays 33-36 celcious whole time when making music. Various stability benchmarks took it to 65 or so. I have 3xintake corsair, 1x exhaust, x61 on top two fans pulling air out of the case. Running quiet amd considerably cool. Good luck!

Heresy! :) who on earth does not like a little tan and poop colors for their prominent fans??!

(JK!)

The darn fans are so quiet at medium ; even with case cover removed during the build, I almost stuck my finger in it to make sure it was on! (I think I read Noctua is diverifying it's color options, which might appeal to many more folks into the 'colors matching',etc...)

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

I appreciate the input. I'm really determined to beat this chip at this point lol.

badwolf713

Reputable
Apr 20, 2017

The industrial fans aren't so bad but they still have the dark brown tips on them :/ may actually go with those still deciding though

Sedivy

Estimable
Try going for a few custom overclocks. I know there were a few on this forum but also youtube and any other enthusiast board. 1.35V is pretty high and while yes, you're overclocking, you might be able to go a bit lower, and consequently tame the temps a bit. I know from discussions that 7700 presets for overclocks aren't terrific.
For iPPC from noctua:
http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/industrial
the dark brown tips can be switched out for other colors, like on all their fans.
http://noctua.at/en/products/accessories
But you're not limited to noctua. I'm using CM's masterfan pro's (static pressure) and they go up to 2800rpm and are black
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/case-fan/masterfan-pro-140-ap/