Can you install Windows 10 on a new PC with another PC(Laptop specifically)??

crisdmann

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
So I am waiting for some parts to come in for my first desktop build. I'm also trying to see where I can go to cut corners on costs without lowering it's quality. I have figured that out on all the hardware, but I have a question for the OS.

I can buy a disc download for about $100, but I found a software website that sold a download for Windows 10 for half that price. So, I was wondering would it be possible to download Windows 10 onto my new build by via USB, for the sake of saving $50, or will that have some unforeseen problems? Thanks guys!

Solution
Your new build won't have anything tattooed in the BIOS chips where PC manufactorers store their entitlement to an activated system. That means only a legitimate bought and paid for system will work properly. A cheap bent key will work but not activate or work properly and will be vulnerable to attack on the Net.

My reference to $33.33 a year was the cost over three College years of a legit system bought from Microsoft with no more worries beyond the time it takes to install it properly.

It's easy enough for me to say and I do appreciate a lot of folks are short of cash but it's worth asking your parents to help you out.

Colif

Win 11 Master
The problem with discount sites is you don't know where they got licence from. So it might be deactivated at a later time leaving you needing to buy another licence

The reason the retail version costs $100 is generally because the licence is a good one, and is unlikely to be cancelled at a later date It s generally best to pay more and be safe

Are you going to continue using laptop? Did it come with win 10 or was it an upgrade? If your laptop was an update from win 7 or 8 and you don't plan on using it in the future, you can move the licence to the new PC and save you paying anything. If you fit those parameters, have a look at this: Reactivating win 10 on new hardware

download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

that is just the software, you still need a licence

crisdmann

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

The website I was looking at is this: Deemed as Commercial Spam and removed by Moderator.
Yeah I do plan to keep using my laptop, because I need to have something mobile for college use. It did come with Windows 10 on it though.

Your link is under consideration for removal on grounds of Commercial Spam. If all you get for your $37.99 is an old OEM key and a link to Microsoft's ISO site it's no value at all.

UPDATE!! A pop-up ad tells me I already qualify for a 5% discount. How that got through uBlock Origin beats me.

As you will have noticed, that site is not a good place to be so it's been removed.

You're going to college for what - three years? $33.33 a year for a genuine licence that will remain legitimate for years on? That's small beer against the total cost of your education and you come out of it knowing you did the decent thing.

crisdmann

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017

Well I wasn't aware that sites that like were illegitimate. From reading reviews and other things about the site, it seemed like people had a good experience with it and could get keys that weren't working replaced.

But anyways, this still doesn't answer my question. I just want to know if it is possible or not.

Your new build won't have anything tattooed in the BIOS chips where PC manufactorers store their entitlement to an activated system. That means only a legitimate bought and paid for system will work properly. A cheap bent key will work but not activate or work properly and will be vulnerable to attack on the Net.

My reference to $33.33 a year was the cost over three College years of a legit system bought from Microsoft with no more worries beyond the time it takes to install it properly.

It's easy enough for me to say and I do appreciate a lot of folks are short of cash but it's worth asking your parents to help you out.

Solution

Of course it is possible for you buy a legitimate Windows 10 key, millions of people do it everyday. I myself have bought dozens to install on various client's PCs, so you will have no problem.