DirectX V.4?(old games)

JonCondiff

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2015
I just tried to install Astrobatics(one of my childhood games) and I'm getting a error saying I need DirectX V.4 or higher. any way to fix this?

JonCondiff

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2015

can't find anything to download at the URL
I'm using a HP Probook 4530s
8gb ram is all I really know about it

Jul 28, 2018

I know it's almost a year old thread and you probably solved the problem yourself, but in case you didn't here it is:
I see you said you played it before as a child, so probably you ran it on Windows XP or Vista

Here's what to do:

- go to games files to find the game or right click the application shortcut and click "Properties",
- then go to "Compatibility" and you'll see "Compatibility mode" and a checkbox under

"A compatibility mode is a software mechanism in which a software either emulates an older version of software, or mimics another operating system in order to allow older or incompatible software or files to remain compatible with the computer's newer hardware or software."

- check checkbox and select it to run in compatibility mode either for Windows 98/Me or Windows 95
- click "Apply" and see if it works

DirectX version here really doesn't matter as long as you have DirectX 9 or higher, but I'm sure you have either 11, 11.3 or 12

JonCondiff

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2015

I know it's almost a year old thread and you probably solved the problem yourself, but in case you didn't here it is:
I see you said you played it before as a child, so probably you ran it on Windows XP or Vista

Here's what to do:

- go to games files to find the game or right click the application shortcut and click "Properties",
- then go to "Compatibility" and you'll see "Compatibility mode" and a checkbox under

"A compatibility mode is a software mechanism in which a software either emulates an older version of software, or mimics another operating system in order to allow older or incompatible software or files to remain compatible with the computer's newer hardware or software."

- check checkbox and select it to run in compatibility mode either for Windows 98/Me or Windows 95
- click "Apply" and see if it works

DirectX version here really doesn't matter as long as you have DirectX 9 or higher, but I'm sure you have either 11, 11.3 or 12
I hate it when i'm not notified of replies on things here but THANK YOU i did try this as I knew it was on windows XP. But did not think to go further back to those versions. so yes it is working now but it's quite slow (like 5FPS or less) anyway to fix that?