Building a new PC rig

AlywOw

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
Hi,

I am thinking to build a decent rig mostly for PS/AE/CD and web browsing. I might be adding a dedicated GPU later on but I do not have time for games any longer.

I would like to buy the new i3 8350K once there will be some benchmarks but is it worth to build a new rig right now or rather wait till the Cannonlake will be released?

Many thanks for your thoughs.

Jwpanz

Honorable
“Buy now or wait for something newer” is becoming a valid question now that AMD and Intel are pumping out new releases like crazy. The sad reality is that there is no good answer.

If you buy the Coffee Lake i3 now and pair it with a Z370 board then you will be just fine. If you wait for Cannonlake i3’s then you *might* see some measurable increase in performance over Coffee Lake.

The best advice I can give you is to look at what you need/want and decide if you have to get it now or if you can afford to wait. The good thing is that a Z370 board is supposed to work with the upcoming Cannonlake chips so you could always sell off your Coffee Lake i3 and purchase a Cannonlake one.

AlywOw

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Hi,

Thanks for your opinion. I am not in a rush to buy anything right now but also don't want to wait a year for new release. I will most likely wait till cyber Monday to see if any news comes around the Cannonlake if not I will just grab the new i3.

USAFRet

Titan
1. Don't count on Black Friday/Cyber Monday for discounts on 'new' parts.

2. Buy and build a system when you want it, need it, and have the money. Waiting for the next best thing means never buying anything. There is always something new just over the horizon.

AlywOw

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Yea, I have also heard the budget chipset motherboards will roll out Q1 2018, therefore, I will want and see the reviews first. Since, I build this rig mostly for image & video edit there is no point to buy an expensive high end gaming motherboard.

Thanks for you opinion anyway.