2nd monitor doesn't work after starting but used to until about two weeks ago.

roundsdd

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
2nd monitor doesn't work when windows 10 starts. It was working fine.
The system thinks it is there as I can start Chrome that uses that monitor but it doesn't show. I
now have to go to display settings and switch to "show only on 1" and then click on revert. The second monitor then lights up and I then move chrome back to the second monitor.
It works fine until I shut down or hibernate.

I have win 10 up to date with a Radeon HD 4870 PIC Express 2.0 card with two DVI outputs that convert to HDMI and connect to two Samsung SyncMaster S20B350 monitors.

Is Microsoft to to their old tricks with updates again or is my video card finally going down?

Thanks for any Help. Dave

Darkvillain

Honorable
Sep 7, 2017
It seems you are not the only person having a lot of problems with Windows 10 and a dual monitor. So when setting up your second monitor are you doing this through the detect and identify method, or is it just popping in randomly?

roundsdd

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013
When I use detect, it shows 1 and 2 and a smaller gray box that says "Display not detected." It identifies the two monitors correctly.
It has been working fine for over a year and recently started not coming up on start, forcing me to do the above routine.