Is GPU overkill harmful? And is there such thing as GPU monitor bottleneck?

Solution
While I can't know precisely what the others mean, in general what is meant by the GPU being overkill is that, buying a top tiered card for use at a 1080p resolution is going to be spending money to buy a lot more graphics horsepower than you are going to be able to enjoy. A GTX 1080 is more than is necessary to get 60 fps in many titles at that resolution, with the bells and whistles turned up. Of course, this also is going to depend on the rest of your system, whether it can keep the card fed fast enough to maintain the high frame rates during games.

As far as bottlenecks, these too are not harmful. All computers have bottlenecks, or you would get infinite performance. The bottleneck is simply the point at which a part is being used...
While I can't know precisely what the others mean, in general what is meant by the GPU being overkill is that, buying a top tiered card for use at a 1080p resolution is going to be spending money to buy a lot more graphics horsepower than you are going to be able to enjoy. A GTX 1080 is more than is necessary to get 60 fps in many titles at that resolution, with the bells and whistles turned up. Of course, this also is going to depend on the rest of your system, whether it can keep the card fed fast enough to maintain the high frame rates during games.

As far as bottlenecks, these too are not harmful. All computers have bottlenecks, or you would get infinite performance. The bottleneck is simply the point at which a part is being used to it's fullest, and can not perform faster, causing other parts to have to wait for it. Depending on software conditions and hardware present, this usually goes back and forth between the CPU and the GPU. In some games, the CPU is the limiting factor, in some, the GPU. This can also be influenced by the graphics settings chosen.

Now, is this harmful? Not at all, in the least, in the most, with cheese or on toast. This is not a moral issue, and there is nothing wrong if you want to do this. Provided the graphics card runs fine in your computer, you can run it all day long at any resolution it supports and you won't do any harm to it. You just may not end up getting the full utility from a high end graphics card by using it at 1080p, but you certainly won't be hurting anything.

On the other hand, if you are going to be using a 144 Hz or faster monitor, the GTX 1080 will often still not be enough to guarantee you never fall below your maximum refresh, even at 1080p.

Solution
Yes, the Ryzen 5 1600x will be a good match for a GTX 1080. Just keep in mind the R5 1600x does not come with a cooler, so you will need to purchase one separately.

Other than getting a higher tiered Ryzen CPU, the only other CPU to consider before Coffee Lake launches on Tuesday would be an Intel 7700k.

Personally however, I would rather have the higher core count and longer platform life than the short term gains you will see with the Intel CPU. You won't see any new CPUs for an Intel system unless you go with their newest chipset, and even then there's little to guarantee more than one generation of CPU will slot into even the newest boards at this point in time.

snatchysquid

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
that one must be good enough right?: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 - The Freezer 13 carries the legacy of the renowned Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2. With all together 4 high-performance heatpipes the cooler brings 200 Watts cooling performance – enough to cool down every current CPU. While doing so it is extremely silent. - Compatible with Intel LGA775,1156,1155,1366 and AMD 754,939, AM2, AM2, AM4 Plus,AM3

snatchysquid

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
and if that cooler is not enough or not compatible with mu CPU maybe this: Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CO - Intel Socket: 1366, 1150, 1151, 1155, 1156, 775 - AMD Socket: FM2+, FM2, FM1, AM4, AM3+, AM3, AM2+, AM2, 939, 754 Max. Cooling Performance: 200 Watts - Recommended for TDP up to: 140 Watts

200 watts of cooling would be more than you need, but it certainly won't hurt anything but rather keep temperatures lower under load. Just understand such a high wattage cooler will be a fairly large, and may fit tightly depending on the chassis you install your parts into, and could encroach on memory slots on the motherboard.

A 140 watt cooler is an excellent choice, and should have plenty of overclocking headroom in it. Keep in mind, unless your CPU is performing a lot of work, it's not usually going to be needing the full 95 watts of power dissipation that it's spec'd at. It will idle much lower, needing much less cooling most of the time. Problems with inadequate coolers usually only manifest themselves when you run the PC in a hot room, the chassis is too cramped for the airflow provided, and / or you are doing a lot of work with the CPU. That's when you need the cooler to be able to handle the full output of the CPU, and that's when a cooler that is too small can't keep up and allows a CPU to overheat into the range where it thermal throttles, or shuts the system down.

snatchysquid

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Yes but in the store that I buy my pc from this is the chipest cooler that meets the requirements u told me before so I will pay 5$-10$ more for this to meet the requirements. Thanks for the help! :)