M.2 SSD adapter that is PCIE x4 in a x16 slot

deadcar

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
My m.2 adapter, which is PCIe x4 in a PCIe x16 slot makes my computer 1. Just not boot or try to boot at all, the lights just turn off and on when i hit power button. Or 2. it turns on, then a few minutes later it will turn off, and not turn back on. Is it the adapter? (https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-Technology-Dual-Adapter-ECM20/dp/B01M7MPU9J?th=1)
Is it the x4 in a x16 slot? Help! Thanks.

deadcar

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Wish i could. My mobo doesn't have a x4 slot, kinda had a brain fart when i bought the adapter, but supposedly you can run a x4 in a x16 slot. My motherboard:https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=n82e16813130790&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSAFeed-All-Products-_-motherboards-amd-_-NA&ignorebbr&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgb3OBRDNARIsAOyZbxByQgmqmdX7-NSl8tIS0r0ppvjZ7ISS6aXSZZxJPVTWvNoZ6JWvc6AaAkeKEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Your motherboard is going to have problems with that SSD. Your motherboard is only PCIe 2.0 and the SSD is designed for PCIe 3.0 x4. Even if you were to get it to boot, it would run only as fast as a SATA SSD. You might be able to use it as a drive in your PC, but not as a bootable disk. If you can, take the M.2 SSD back and go get a Samsung 850 EVO. It is cheaper and will give you the same performance on your rig.

deadcar

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016

Im a little confused by this, maybe what i have said has been confusing. When the drive does work, as it is now, my computer hasn't died all of today, it will get 1.2 GB a second read, and 800 write. Were you saying that my PCIe 3.0 adapter and 2.0 PCIe slot, are what was causing the PC to crash?

The PCIe 2.0 slot is really not that big of a deal for it running the machine. The difference is the bandwidth. PCIe 3.0 has twice as much bandwidth as PCIe 2.0. So from the beginning, the SSD will be running half speed. (PCIe 2.0 x4 =PCIe 3.0 x2). You can run a PCIe 3.0 device in PCIe 2.0, it will just be slower.

But the issue is you have an older motherboard that may not handle all of the NVMe protocols of the SSD. So this could be a reason for instability in the system. Your motherboard was released long before the NVMe SSD drives were available to mainstream consumers. Motherboards released today specifically say they have NVMe support. Yours does not.

You may want to try flashing the bios. MSI released versions M.3 and M.4 in 2015. One was for system stability which may improve your situation. Just becareful if you go this route as you dont want your system to crash while flashing the bios. It can brick your motherboard and render it useless.

Why I say I would try and take the SSD back if it is still in your return window, is becuase you cant run it at full speed anyway. So I would just go with a cheaper 3D NAND SSD like the 850 EVO and you may get better performance.

deadcar

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
Oh ok, that make sense. Thanks for your help! If I still have instability issues, i might have to go the route of flashing the bios, or just leave it out of the system. Thanks!