What do you think about my pc build? what would you change, and why?

shillien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
Hello, i am building my new pc (im gonna buy it at the end of this month) and for now my components are:
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K 4x 4.20GHz So.1151 WOF
CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-D15
GPU: 11GB Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16 (Retail)
PSU: 850 Watt EVGA SuperNOVA G3 Modular 80+ Gold
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX LP black DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16 Dual Kit
SSD: Samsung 850 evo, 250GB
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB, 7200 rpm, 64 MB, SATA III
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix Z270E Gaming Intel Z270 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR ATX
CASE: Azza Taurus 5000B big tower

any constructive criticism would be nice, but tell why not only change that for that

ty in advance

edit.: like i saw in comments at the end of the week (october 5th) coffee lake is comming out so i if i decide to change 7700k for 8700k (will see how the prices go) should i change anyhing else (expet motherboard since socket is different)

Not sure why you would spend big bucks then spec the WD Blue 1 TB ... the WD Black 1TB is another $25 with 2.5X the warranty and a tick faster thru-put. AND, if you look around you might snag a jazzy combo like the WD Black 2TB HDD with 256GB NVMe SSD for around $220
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3646914

Of course the over-riding question would be, "Why do Kaby/Z270 in 4 weeks when Coffee Lake and Z370 roll this week?" (not to pick that scab ...)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Personally I'd change 2x things, but only because that's me. The psu is great, but oversized, and probably over priced, you could get the same unit in a 650w version cheaper, or even a Corsair RMx 650w, there are cheaper options that are all in the same quality/ability range. But thats really just a price thing. I'd also change the case. Not because it's Azza, they do build a respectable case, and that looks pretty easy on the eyes, but because it's a full tower, and they are simply huge. It's a little harder to get good airflow, there's a lot of interior space in a full tower, you can run into issues where wiring (especially if you want it neat) for fans etc is just plain too short, I've even seen where psu cables for things like the auxiliary EPS directly from the psu can't nicely reach without going straight across the board. And when all is said and done, you look in the window, and it's so empty inside. But again, that's just me. I prefer the smaller footprints of a ATX mid-tower/mini-tower where it just looks more compact and full without having a bunch of empty space taking up space on the desktop.

4745454b

Titan
PSU is way too much. That system won't need an 850W PSU. 550W tops. Other than that everything is top end so no changes suggested of course.

Edit: I'm a fan of full size cases. Running a HAF XM myself. But I grew up in the early age of PC and I'm used to full size cases. mATX cases just seem like a bad idea. To me.

shillien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017

any idea what will the price difference in motherboard and i7 (comperable to 7700k) will be? im hearing that new CPU will need new socket

yeah i dont like the empty look of full tower also but i was thinking in MAYBE upgrading to water cooling in the future so i decided for it

4745454b

Titan
I personally am a bit worried about CL over KL. From what's been said there isn't much difference between the cores, there's just more of them. This means IPC will be similar, but boost clocks will be impacted due to the extra heat. It will be interesting to see what Intel does about this and I could be completely wrong, but I expect we'll see some situations where KL is a better performer over CL. If you can wait for the release it's smart to do so. But at the same time I'm expecting the 7700 to continue it's rain as the best gaming CPU out there.

shillien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017

i would say gaming only. I am using it for office things also but for that everything is good. Im not programming anymore or hardcore video editing or anything like that. Im also ising igrafix but for that any mediocore pc would do also.

My understanding (always questionable!) is that Coffee will Turbo multiple cores higher than Kaby, but 'base' clocks will actually be lower to keep/maintain typical power envelops.

It would be nice if Chipzilla kept Z370 prices inline with Z270 ... AND, if they don't orphan the chipset (like they did with my AsRock 270 ITX and Kaby :( )

4745454b

Titan
Exactly wisecracker. So there may be times where due to the higher boosts you can see some improvements, but there can be other times when the cores are overloading and making extra heat that you'll be left with stock clocks. Which are rumored to be lower than KL. You will have the extra cores so you could see improvements. But I'm guessing there will be times where KL beats CL due to the clocks. And god help you if your cooler gets dusty.

shillien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017
considering today new cpu came out with new socked i decided ill buy 8700k and asus rog strix z370e, others stay the same. Its 103€ more expensive that way (without taxes)

4745454b

Titan
If you got the money for it the 8700K does look good. If you already have the 7700K and just use it for gaming it's obviously not the upgrade you were hoping for. Too be honest I'd save the 103 and get the 7700K setup. It's still a great CPU and that's a lot of money that can go towards a GPU.

shillien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017

main reason im going for 8700 is z370, so future upgrading will be easyer. (even tho if intel starts throwing new socket out every year like now it wont help me much), anyway i dont have 7700k yet im buying full pc in 2 weeks so i just decided if im wasting that much already im going to pay 100 more for new socket + i7. or do you still think its bad idea?

4745454b

Titan
Yup. Unless you have enough money to buy it without sacrificing anything else. If spending that extra money on the CPU means you have to drop down to the 1070 instead of the 1080, I'd stick with the 7700K. 100+ is a lot of money to spend for nearly identical gaming performance.

shillien

Reputable
Oct 1, 2017

nah for that i have enough. im goin asus 1080ti 100% all i could buy is maybe bigger ssd, but i dont think sacrificing cpu for that is worth it

4745454b

Titan
Then go for it. As long as you aren't getting something sub standard to get that 8700K it's fine. It's new so there will be a price premium for awhile. But if you can afford it's a great chip.