WHEA Uncorrectable Error BSOD

benjamin.yang05

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
I recently build my own PC ~2 months ago and everything has been working fine up until about 2 days ago. I ran into a boot loop caused by the WHEA Uncorrectable Error which would officer after about 2-5 minutes after normally booting into windows.

After running the BSOD Viewer, there were two results in red, which I assume are the errors.

- hal.dll
- ntoskrnl.exe

I'm also currently running memtest 86+ to see if there are any issues with my RAM.

One thing to note is that after this first occurred, I ran chkdsk in safe mode and it found an error along the lines of "The volume bitmap is incorrect" and after running chkdsk /f, my PC was running perfectly for about 2 days before going back into the crash loop again.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm losing my mind over this! Thanks!

Solution
Hi, I ran the dump file(s) through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Z1Sf.html

File: 100217-5312-01.dmp (Oct 2 2017 - 13:52:27)
BugCheck: [WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)]
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: steamwebhelper)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File: 100217-5078-01.dmp (Oct 2 2017 - 13:57:07)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for AndroidAFDx64.sys
Probably caused by: AndroidAFDx64.sys (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File: 100117-3859-01.dmp (Oct 1 2017 - 21:00:48)
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process...

Colif

Win 11 Master
WHEA = Windows Hardware Error Architecture. They are called by CPU but not necessarily caused by it. Unlikely to be caused by ram

hal.dll = hardware abstraction layer: it sits between windows kernel & hardware
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

what are specs of PC?

remove any overclock, remove any overclocking software. remove MSI Afterburner

Can you follow option one here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

benjamin.yang05

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
Oh, shoot totally forgot to include my specs!

- i7 6700k (Never overclocked, unless XMP messed with the values but I don't believe so)
- ASUS Maximus Ranger VIII
- 16 GB DDR4 2666 (Mhz) (Might be overclocked with XMP profile to detect higher RAM speed)
- Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD
- Be quiet! Pure rock slim cooler

So far I've run the memtest 86+ with 9 passes and found zero errors. The intel processor diagnostic tool was passed with flying colors as well. I don't believe it's a heat issues at this point as I've been closely watching the temps of my CPU and I've never seen them above 70 when performing normal processes or during the memtest for that matter.

I never followed the tutorial you posted but when I looked in the C:/Minidump there were already files, is that okay or should I redo it? Here's one of the files that I found in my Minidump folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vq36cso77631ou/100117-3859-01.dmp?dl=0

Also, super frustrating as yesterday it was constantly crashing but after running the memtest, I booted up my PC again today so try to troubleshoot and it's been ~30 mins so far with no crashes! Makes me worry that it's only a matter of time before it crashes again! Thanks for all the help!

benjamin.yang05

Prominent
Oct 1, 2017
A few more Minidump files when my PC started crashing again earlier. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the app flip wheel (maybe a driver issue?) My PC crashed soon after I reverted flip wheel settings to normal and with a new error this time, IRQL Not Less or Equal. Anywho, I'm going to link the folder that I'm uploading all the Minidump files to.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hdp5joz36u8xvmi/AABm0d6XwYqRMKl0PeKxBoy_a?dl=0

Thanks all

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file(s) through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/Z1Sf.html

File: 100217-5312-01.dmp (Oct 2 2017 - 13:52:27)
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: steamwebhelper)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 11 Min(s), and 03 Sec(s)

File: 100217-5078-01.dmp (Oct 2 2017 - 13:57:07)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for AndroidAFDx64.sys
Probably caused by: AndroidAFDx64.sys (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

File: 100117-3859-01.dmp (Oct 1 2017 - 21:00:48)
Probably caused by: GenuineIntel (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 31 Sec(s)

As Axe said: "remove all overclocking".

The overclocking driver "IOCBios2.sys.sys" was found on your system. Remove the Intel Extreme Tuning Utility which installs this file while we are trying to fix your BSOD problems. Remove all overclocks. Sometimes there will be multiple copies of this file, be sure to remove all of the corresponding software.

I can't help you with this. Wait for someone else to reply. Good luck.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
I see AI Suite there as well.
ASio.sys = Part of AI Suite or GPU Tweak 2 - this can cause WHEA errors
update Logitech gaming software as it has a CPU meter in it as well

remove any Asus software you aren't using as it can all cause errors

so very blue, gardenman