Windows 10 discs for re-new installation

hondoman

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2014
Good morning,

I have a 10 months old computer and it is not working well. Internet gets sluggish at times, especially at night, programmes are slow, etc.

I feel I need to format the SSD and do a new install of everything. Mostly and obviously Windows 10.

I am not a computer expert, by any means, so what do I actually need to do?

All of my files are saved to an external HDD.

I have googled a bit, but am confused about ISO, flash drive, boot disc, etc.

Can someone steer an old guy in the right direction?

Cheers!

Solution
Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD

change boot order in BIOS so USB or DVD is first, ssd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the ssd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB or DVD

change boot order in BIOS so USB or DVD is first, ssd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

when you reach the screen asking for licence, click "I don't have a key" and win 10 will continue to install and reactivate once finished

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the ssd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here)

Solution