Can't change folders from Read-only (once again)

applebyjunk

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
I have seen answers to this question, but none of the solutions have worked for me. When ever I try to save a file to a sub-directory of My Documents, Music, Pictures, etc. I get the error ‘The folder is marked Read-Only’. I have tried changing the files Read-Only attribute, at the file, Folder, and owner’s Folder level using both the Properties box and the ATTRIB command. I have enabled and disabled file inheritance, I have changed the owner, I have created a home group, which worked for one person, but not me.

I am running out of ideas, does anyone know how to fix this problem. I have had it before and been able to fix it by changing the owner and permissions on My Document but no luck this time. Anyone have any ideas?

Solution
it sounds like a problem with your user as all folders are marked as read only by default in win 10. It doesn't normally matter as you have permissions to use them.

Try setting up a homegroup as it can fix permissions issues. 2 years ago I had a problem where Onedrive had more access to my Library folders than I did and setting up a homegroup fixed it.

Try setting up a new local user, give it admin rights, and copy contents of old user folder at c:\users\username onto new one, and see if same things happen - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

Colif

Win 11 Master
it sounds like a problem with your user as all folders are marked as read only by default in win 10. It doesn't normally matter as you have permissions to use them.

Try setting up a homegroup as it can fix permissions issues. 2 years ago I had a problem where Onedrive had more access to my Library folders than I did and setting up a homegroup fixed it.

Try setting up a new local user, give it admin rights, and copy contents of old user folder at c:\users\username onto new one, and see if same things happen - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4026923/windows-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-10

Solution

TRENDING THREADS