Dell u3011 stopped working suddenly

j.m.paravicini

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
I have a Dell u3011 Monitor and have it connected to my gtx970 through a displayport cable. The monitor worked well until out of nowhere the screen just went black and nothing seemed to work anymore.

A few things I have noticed:
1) The displayport cable is not malfunctioning as I was able to get it to work on a lower resolution(1920x1080) but not the native monitor resolution(2560x1600)
2) The monitor nor the graphics card should be wrong as I can get an image with point 1 or with an HDMI cable
3) When the screen turned black, the monitor is completely unresponding(the buttons on the side do not respond in any way until I remove the displayport cable)
4) The computer nor monitor is not overheating, both are at a low temperature

I think I will change to a dvi cable, but since the graphics card only has displayport and hdmi outputs I will get an hdmi to dvi adapter, however, im not sure if I can get the max resolution with this solution

Why did my monitor out of the sudden stop working?

HDMI to DVI adapter is unlikely to work as HDMI is equivalent to single-link DVI, which is only good to 1920×1200 for your 16:10 monitor.

There are Displayport to dual-link DVI adapters, but at this point it is still unknown if the problem is with the GPU or the monitor.

It's not all that uncommon for a single port to die or become glitchy, and it's too bad Dell decided to give you two HDMI ports (which are unable to display the monitor's native resolution) but only one displayport. Still, the cheapest thing to try is a new cable as working at low resolution does not necessarily mean it's good.

BTW I have been using dual-link DVI on a U3011 and it occasionally wakes from sleep with a horrible interpolated picture, or with no backlight. It has been doing this for years and while a power cycle always fixes it, I don't consider this reliable enough for non computer savvy people like my parents to use, or I would've given it away long ago.

j.m.paravicini

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017

I think the problem was the cable it self as I have red that cheap displayport cables(unlike hdmi) can stop working and mine was just about 8 Dollars. I didn't know that the hdmi-dvi would be capped at a 1920x1200 resolution. Since where I live the electronic parts are quite limited I have found a dvi-d to dvi-d dual link cable which i suppose should work. As long both ends are dual link and not single they should support the 2560x1600 resolution of my monitor.