How do I choose a gaming monitor?

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017
Hi all,

I am no longer able (or willing) to use my 4K tv as a monitor. I've started looking at what's out there, and I've found it a bit confusing. It seems very much based on individuals' preferences, and I don't see a single type of screen that has all the benefits (fast refresh, great colours, resolution, size, low latency, etc).

After some reading I've decided to go for a 2560x1440 resolution as a sweet spot (more than 1080, and high fps). The screen that came out on top in my research was this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KZIO...TF8&colid=1PNVSKJTPQUIU&coliid=I3AC44PKWPHR8Q

I was thinking I could get 2 of them.

But then I came across this new-ish craze of ultrawide (curved) monitors. I started looking at them, and I've seen both rave reviews and warnings about them. Some saying ultrawide makes gaming look amazing, others saying the lack of compatibility means it's not worth it yet. For ultrawide, the top pick so far is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DOIF...UTF8&colid=1PNVSKJTPQUIU&coliid=I4QQ31C0RJ61P

So questions here are:

1. Flat vs Curved?
2. Two regular vs one ultrawide
3. Which of the screens I've linked is best?
4. What other screens would you recommend?

Thanks

Solution
1. curved usually have such better viewing experience and usually it is used in ultrawide monitor, but sometimes it has cons such as glare, but non glossy screen that were usually used on most monitor should reduce it pretty well
2. two regular 16:9 were good for multitasking, but 1 ultrawide also good for multitasking, which one is better depending on your needs and preference
3. the dell one is better in my opinion for gaming, the really high refresh rate is such a good thing to have, especially if you play fps a lot. but the ultrawide were better in terms of watching videos and for gaming, ultrawide make games looks immersive, but the downside is that not all game natively support ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio, some doesnt support 21:9...

nvincent_08

Reputable
1. curved usually have such better viewing experience and usually it is used in ultrawide monitor, but sometimes it has cons such as glare, but non glossy screen that were usually used on most monitor should reduce it pretty well
2. two regular 16:9 were good for multitasking, but 1 ultrawide also good for multitasking, which one is better depending on your needs and preference
3. the dell one is better in my opinion for gaming, the really high refresh rate is such a good thing to have, especially if you play fps a lot. but the ultrawide were better in terms of watching videos and for gaming, ultrawide make games looks immersive, but the downside is that not all game natively support ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio, some doesnt support 21:9 aspect ratio
4. probably as alternative asus and probably some other acer monitor, but however i like dell neutral looks, asus and acer sometimes put gaming looks way too much

Solution

papada911

Reputable
Jul 18, 2017

Thanks nvincent_08! I've decided to go for the Acer X34 in the end for a number of reasons:
1. For the games that do support it, 21:9 will look amazing, and there is something about not having a screen edge cutting the immersion.
2. I can use an app to split the screen as if it were 2 screens, meaning I can play games that do not support 21:9 in their native resolution and have a part of desktop to use instead of black bars or stretching.
3. The Dell does look neutral, but maybe a bit too office like. This Acer looks modern without being OTT.
4. Having the Vive and coming from a 49in 4K tv, the ultra wide display minimises the loss of 'immersion'.