Games Freezing at Random, Regular Programs Becoming Unresponsive Easily.

yozo345

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017
I've been having this issue for 3 months now. I'm running Windows 10. Here are some specs that might matter:

• 32 GB of RAM

Intel i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processors(s)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

64-bit of course.

Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

Let me know if there is any info I'm missing that I need to put.

The Issue

When I'm playing a game (it applies to any game I play, although some replicate the issue much easier, League of Legends being the biggest one) it'll just randomly freeze for around 5-10 seconds. There doesn't seem to be any pattern at all for when it freezes. As far as regular programs go (i.e. Chrome, Steam, Discord, etc.) They become unresponsive pretty easily. Usually just when I'm clicking somewhere on it.

What I've Tried

• A fresh install of Windows 10 (To check for any software incompatibilities)

Allowing the problem programs through all firewalls/anti-virus'.

Checking for overheating (It isn't.)

Watching my CPU, Memory, and Disk usage. They all stay at low or average percents even when
    the issue is happening.

Reinstalling drivers.

Using a different graphics card.

Disabling the various 'green' power saving default options on computers.

Changing my paging file size.

Reinstalling the games/programs.

Re-seating the RAM sticks.

I'm completely out of ideas as this problem is very vague. It is as I described it, just random freezes on games and lack of responsiveness in programs. None of the obvious (at least to me) culprits are the problem. I'd love some help, and thanks in advance.

Hello yozo345

Can you please confirm if you are using HDD or SSD?

Also, can you please check and confirm your hard drive has no bad sectors? You can find several tools that can help you with that.

Please report back with the results to allow us to help you with an appropriate solution.

Cheers!!

yozo345

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

Hi! I am using an HDD, and only an HDD. I also just ran chkdsk per your advice and no bad sectors were found nor any other problems.

Hello again yozo345

Although it is unlikely that the two are related in this case, you can still try Correctly Increasing the Virtual Memory of Windows, i.e. increasing it by 1.5 times (minimum) and 4 times (maximum) of the physical memory, and see if that fixes the issue.

Cheers!!

yozo345

Prominent
Oct 3, 2017

I've increased the virtual memory and tested the issue for a while now, but it's still persisting at about the same frequency it seems. Nothing else has changed either, so no good or bad side effects.