Help needed: Upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 10

piotrek34

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Hello, this is a little backstory to help diagnose the problem I am having. I recently decided to upgrade my graphics card, from my old Sapphire Radeon 7870 to the MSI Radeon RX 580.

I had an old Windows 8 CD that I had bought when I was building this computer 5 years ago, and decided to install windows 8 since I wanted a clean install with a fresh start with the new graphics card.

Currently I have 3 storage devices, 1 Western Digital TB HDD, a 120GB Sandisk SSD, and a new 240GB Sandisk SSD. I installed the Radeon RX 580 today and had success with installing windows 8 on my computer onto the 240gb SSD. I wanted to play a couple games and noticed I could not run them at all, so naturally I thought I had to update the drivers. I put in the install disk that came with he Radeon RX 580, and installed all the things from there. Then, when I went onto the radeon website to install the latest drivers for my RX 580, I have noticed that they don't support Windows 8. This forced me to buy Windows 10. I now have a key for Windows 10, that I am trying to use and install and upgrade it, but keep getting an issue.

I bought Windows 10 Home and went to the official Microsoft website to download the Windows 10 install tool. ( https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10#iconz-install )

I now have a problem because I cannot install windows 10... after the Windows 10 files get downloaded, an error keeps popping up, stating:
Windows Setup cannot find a location to store temporary installation files. To install windows, make sure that a partition on your boot disk has at least 1229 megabytes(MB) of free space. Error code 0x80070490"

Some things to note:
1: I installed Windows 8 from the CD successfully on the 240gb SSD I have.
2: The other hard drives(the western digital 1 tb and the 120gb Sandisk ssd) are not showing up as available drives, even though they are connected and plugged in. This is verified if I go into BIOS, the drives show up there, but not when looking at My Computer.
3: I spent over a hundred dollars(which I did not want to do) on this windows 10 upgrade and cannot get it to install. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it

I would like to just upgrade from Windows 8 to Windows 10 so I can finally install the right drivers so i can finally play my games, but I cannot since this error keeps popping up. What should I do? Do I need to create new partitions on the 240gb ssd in order for windows 10 to be able to be upgrade? if this is the case, how do i do it?

Solution
if you get same error upgrading using USB, I would just fresh install Win 10 since you bought it and have a key now

move steam library to another drive
Unplug all the other drives except the ssd as sometimes win 10 installer will see blank space on another drive and put its boot sector there instead
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that...

piotrek34

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Yes, since this is a new SSD and pretty much nothing installed on it(besides steam, Rocket League, Google chrome, windows 8, and rx580 install disk contents). It should have plenty of space for the install of WIndows 10. :/

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you try to make a USB or DVD, or just upgrade? Try making the USB and then once its finished, open file explorer, navigate to the USB and run setup.exe and upgrade using it.

Is rocket league a steam game? Try the 2nd option here and move the game library to another drive if you have space - https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2015/07/how-to-move-a-pc-game-to-another-hard-drive-without-re-downloading-it/

then try to run installer again.

piotrek34

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

I will try this when I get home.

Yes, RL is a steam game, but it is only 7 GB big. In total, my 240gb ssd has probably around 200 gb left of storage.... not sure why I would need more than a couple gigs to install Windows 10.

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you get same error upgrading using USB, I would just fresh install Win 10 since you bought it and have a key now

move steam library to another drive
Unplug all the other drives except the ssd as sometimes win 10 installer will see blank space on another drive and put its boot sector there instead
change boot order in BIOS so USB is first, hdd second
boot from installer
follow this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1950-windows-10-clean-install.html

On the screen where you choose where to install win 10, if it gives you an error about GPT drives, delete all the partitions on the hdd and press next. If it still gives error, cancel out of the installer and restart PC and start installer again, it will accept next on that screen this time (some PC just need a restart here).

reattach the other drives and load steam again.

Solution

piotrek34

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

Thank you so much Colif. I got windows 10 installed by doing the usb method. I really appreciate it man!!!

TRENDING THREADS