Dell P2214H IPS glow

Raizo Ozunu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Hi all,

I recently upgraded my dual monitor setup and purchased two Dell P2214H's which I got a good deal on.

Unfortunately when setting them up over the weekend, when I browse some pages which are dark the Blacks look washed and there is a slight glow effect on some places, I'm really disappointed. Even some pages which aren't so dark the colours aren't all that.

I'm considering both TN and VA panels now.

After going through quiet a few monitors I've picked out these three below, I'd much prefer to go with a similar built monitor i.e. height adjustable, strong stand. Can somebody advise which one would be the best choice? Thanks

BenQ GW2270 Monitor Eye-care LED VA (VA)
22" Full HD Monitor LS22E45KBS/EN | Samsung Business UK (TN)
E2275PWJ (TN)

I can get each Monitor at relatively the same price.

I do a lot of work in the evenings, often have a film or tv series on the additional screen, also use photoshop for picture editing occasionally.

Solution
IPS used to be synonymous with a good monitor because it cost more, and manufacturers would put a little more effort into making sure it worked well. But as of a few years ago, I've been seeing a lot of economy IPS monitors in the market with so-so performance (usually poor contrast like you're reporting). I've even had to return a Dell Ultrasharp because of your issue (blacks looked like a medium gray).

FWIW, IPS is a trademark of LG. The equivalent Samsung technology is PLS. The equivalent AUO technology is AHVA. They're supposed to be about the same, and are all frequently referred to as "IPS" by salesmen and buyers (only LG panels are allowed to say "IPS" in print). But to my eye I've been most pleased with PLS, and most...

Raizo Ozunu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
If I angle my head to the side of the screen slightly to the left let's say, the colour becomes more vibrant and no more of the washed tint glow in the bottom left hand side of the screen.

My screens are setup typically how dual monitors usually are positioned not flat side by side but both in a slight angle. I doubt at a slight angle a TN or VA panel would bother me more than this IPS screen, I'm told it's a bit of a lottery.

I use a SyncMaster 943 at work (dual monitors), and had Dell E207WFP before my current set of Dell's. Both are non-IPS and served me well.

Two TV's I've got which I'm quiet happy with are Samsung UE40H6400 and Sony W829, both VA panels, might not be the same but everybody watches from the left/right just fine.

IPS used to be synonymous with a good monitor because it cost more, and manufacturers would put a little more effort into making sure it worked well. But as of a few years ago, I've been seeing a lot of economy IPS monitors in the market with so-so performance (usually poor contrast like you're reporting). I've even had to return a Dell Ultrasharp because of your issue (blacks looked like a medium gray).

FWIW, IPS is a trademark of LG. The equivalent Samsung technology is PLS. The equivalent AUO technology is AHVA. They're supposed to be about the same, and are all frequently referred to as "IPS" by salesmen and buyers (only LG panels are allowed to say "IPS" in print). But to my eye I've been most pleased with PLS, and most displeased with IPS. The LG IPS panels seem to suffer a lot of backlight bleed, especially if you view them at a 45 degree angle along the corner (can't leave my LG phone screen on at night because of this - the black turns into light grey at 45 degrees).

VA is certainly an option. Better viewing angles and color stability than TN, better contrast ratio than IPS. Just be aware it tends to have slower response times so gaming will be worse.

I've only had one TN panel that I would consider suitable for photo work, and that was on a top of the line Sony laptop, and the colors still shifted with vertical viewing angle. Just not as much as with a typical TN panel.

https://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Solution

Raizo Ozunu

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014
Thanks for your response Solandri, appreciate it. I'm also very much decided with VA. But noticed for the monitor I'm going for there's a AMVA model.

http://www.benq.co.uk/product/monitor/gw2270/specifications/
http://www.benq.co.uk/product/monitor/gw2270hm/specifications/

Would you personally go with the AMVA, or standard VA?