G.Skill Greets Coffee Lake With New DDR4 Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

berezini.2013

Prominent
Sep 25, 2017
Is there a PC that consists of 4 separate boxes chain linked together? Say first box is only for PSU, Second houses CPU and all relevant, Third chip-set and storage, fourth sound and all accessories and USB ports? like taking a motherboard and sawing it to pieces so you can have multiple completely enclosed portions for easy upgrades? i mean PCI express pathways havent really changed in how long? no reason to keep buying new ones on every motherboard just change the parts you need upgraded for the platform

dark_knight

Distinguished
May 8, 2009

That's right. They are just here to get everyone to shut up and take your money. Not this time.... nope not this time.

It's called the Acer Revo Build. But the problem is cooling and latency/bandwidth in the PCI express lanes. You really don't want to separate things on the motherboard. They should be on the same PCB.

Having everything in a big case allows for large fans.

Also, it's not hard to upgrade a processor that's on the same socket. Just unscrew the cpu heatsink/fan, take out the old cpu, put some thermal paste on the new one and plug it in. Screw the heatsink back on, super easy.

sergesmart

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
I don't get it... 16GB (2 x 8GB) of DDR4-4600 What for take any kit with maximum of 8GB on single pack? .. most boards for Coffee Lake coming up with 4 slots for RAM
so, if I want to get 2 X 16GB at first and later get the same second kit in case to have 64GB total - how I can do it with this memory ?

Also, as I remember Spec for Intel i7-8700 and i7-8700K CPU it refers to DDR4 2666 , not to DDR4 4600 RAM .so How I can be sure about compatibility ?

Ben Pottinger

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

I hate to be "that guy" but did you take 10 seconds to check newegg? Pretty much all of these companies sell 16GB sticks (and yes, the Trident Z series are available at newegg in 16GB sticks). Of course its 400$ for a pair of them, so that might be why they don't spend much effort advertising them, not a big market for a few hundred in ram most people are not going to use. If your using VMs a lot or a few other edge cases I could see you needing more then 16GB. But if your just worried about the future, buy a set of two 8s and if things need more you have room to drop a set of 2 more 8s or even 2 16s (for 48GB total, which is probably going to be plenty long after DDR4 is an obsolete standard).

If you want to ensure memory compatibility always, always check your motherboard.

sergesmart

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Thanks, Ben, but I spend much more than 10 sec.. to check newegg and GSkill sites to find what I'm looking for...
( easy to find compatible Mainboard on GSkill site, than compatible memory on Gigabite site !)

and this is what I found -->

My current System : Two Monitors: 26" NEC & 52" 4K Samsung + Windows 10 Pro ( this is what I'm not planning to change )

1. Mainboard GA X79-UP4 - 2. CPU Intel i73820 3.60GHz
3. 32GBRAM - Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB X4
4. System Disk: SSD Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
5. EVGA GeForce GTX 980, 4GB Video Card
------------------------------
Plan for my New System:

1. Mainboard GA Z370 Aorus gaming 5 $200
2. CPU Intel 8700 3.20GHz $314
3. 32GBRAM -GSkill Trident Z-DDR4 16X2 $368 ( + MAYBE... same 2-nd set later )
4. System Disk: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-E 3.0 x4 $150
5. EVGA GeForce GTX 1080i 11GB Video Card $750

How much of improvement in speed ( without overclocking !!! ) I can get over my current System ? ( in photo and video editing... or something else )

Ben Pottinger

Reputable
Nov 14, 2014

So the 8700 is going to give you a solid 50% jump in video rendering speeds, and maybe a decent jump in photo editing. For gaming I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade on the cpu side. The 1080tI is a huge jump for 4k gaming. Many would say a requirement. I don't know that a 1080ti would help much at all for editing tasks though.

So I was really agonizing between a 950 SATA SSD and the M.2 960 pro series. The numbers are huge but when you really look at the benchmarks you end up seeing that it only improves load times by 1 or 2 seconds. So from 10 seconds to 8 seconds. Not a huge jump. If your going to do lots of video editing I'd consider keeping the current ssd as your boot drive and buying a 1TB SSD (m.2 if you can afford it) and use that as your editing drive. That will give you a big boost in smoothness for video and photo editing. Depending on your files sizes and project sizes you might be able to use a 500GB drive instead, that's your call. I haven't looked at the benchmarks for video editing to see if a M.2 is worth the premium over a SATA drive (in other words are you better off with a 500GB M.2 or a 1TB SATA? I don't know).

Status
Not open for further replies.