Windows can boot from windows boot manager only..

leechinspree

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Got a single m.2 ssd samsung evo 960 , no other hdd/ssd , installed win10 on it using usb flash drive.worked fine for awhile no issues ,i had to update my bios to a newer version..then noticed a huge boot time (110) seconds so i started messing with bios settings to see whats up , for some reason default settings choose to have #1st priority the computer booting from windows boot manager instead of directly from my SSD , and when i try to set it to boot from ssd it fails and i end up again in bios screen..
Disk managment for some reason have 2 partitions

https://imgur.com/a/1l5oi

Solution
is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

otherwise, yeah, I would move it back and reinstall. Not sure what went wrong after the bios update?

Colif

Win 11 Master
windows Boot Manager is correct, it matches the way Windows 10 boots on an EFI system.

Unlike win 7 which used MBR format on drives, windows 10 defaults to GPT format on its drives, the main difference that concerns you is where the boot sector is on GPT drives.

On MBR, the boot data is on the 1st partition, so you have to have the drive as 1st in boot order for PC to find it.
On GPT, the boot data can be on any hdd and in any partition, so you have to have Windows Boot Manager as 1st in order so it can tell the PC where to look for the boot data

Partitions: You actually have 3 as C drive is also a partition. These are all normal for a windows 10 install, sometimes it creates 4 of them.
Windows Setup will automatically create the 4 partitions below on the drive, and install Windows 10 on the primary partition.
Partition 1 - Recovery
Partition 2 - System - The EFI System partition that contains the NTLDR, HAL, Boot.txt, and other files that are needed to boot the system, such as drivers.
Partition 3 - MSR - The Microsoft Reserved (MSR) partition that reserves space on each disk drive for subsequent use by operating system software.
Partition 4 - Primary - Where Windows is to be installed to.

that long boot time is still happening? Check your motherboard drivers are also up to date.

leechinspree

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
downloaded all the current mobo drivers this shit is still happening.. when i restart i have to wait 100 sec on black asus loading screen before i can get to windows.. any ideas why this is happening if boot option from windows boot manager is something normal ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
which Asus motherboard is it? I haven't got an nvme myself but sometimes they might be treated differently and not show in boot order. That time is way too long, clearly the boot manager is looking in the wrong place.

Colif

Win 11 Master
here be instructions on how to install an NVME in your PC, maybe retrace them and see what was reset when you updated UEFI. I would start around step 9.

M.2 storage devices can be SATA or PCIe. An SATA III M.2 maximum speed is 6GB/s.

You don't have an SATA M.2 device. You need to do a UEFI install of Windows 10 as the drive uses the UEFI firmware to operate.

You can use whichever M.2 socket you want.

1- The M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.

2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.

3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, not windows UEFI.

4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.

5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it, USB3 is quicker but USB2 works also. A Windows DVD won’t work unless you’ve created your own UEFI Bootable DVD.

6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.

7 - Windows 10 will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.

8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.

9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode. (see #3 above)

10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys

11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install. Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives. Do not put anything on SATA port 1 as this is now may be reserved for the NVME drive

The M.2_1 socket shares SATA_1 port when use M.2 SATA mode device. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.

The M.2_2 socket shares SATA_56 ports when use M.2 PCIE mode device in X4 mode. Adjust BIOS settings to use SATA devices..

I would also recommend installing the Samsung NVME driver at this point to replace the Windows one.

The background here is NVME SSDs do not appear within the BIOS until Windows creates the system partition with the EFI Boot Sector. Your M.2 SSD contains UEFI driver information within the firmware. By disabling the CSM module Windows will read and utilize the M.2-specific UEFI driver.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3460538/nvme-installation-asus-z270f-rog-strix.html

Colif

Win 11 Master
is there anything on C drive you want to rescue? try making this on another PC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

otherwise, yeah, I would move it back and reinstall. Not sure what went wrong after the bios update?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS