Gaming PC Build Review

SASD GHOST

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017
I asked for a low budget build back in February that was $400 - $500 but things have changed. Since early 2017 I went through a rough patch and suddenly everything is looking up; I have gotten a new job that is much better paying and my budget has just about doubled. Last I checked, you guys were the best community to consult. I'd like to keep it between $900 - $1000 or lower for all components so I've set up a build of my own and I wanted to run it past you guys to see what y'all thought.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hd2VxY

Following this I have two main questions.
1: Can I get audio through the headphone jack in the tower without having to add a sound card to the list? Because I currently don't have one and the monitor I've selected doesn't have an integrated sound system.

and 2: Upon looking at this, is there anything that I am missing for a gaming PC? (Not in terms of what would be nice to have, I mean 'Is this all I need?') I want to be able to put together a list of parts that once I get them in the mail I can assemble everything and get it running and such.

I welcome any questions, criticism, suggestions, and advice.

Edit: I have no Software chosen as this is a Gaming PC and I reckon I'll just use Steam.
Edit Cont.: How long will I get outta this before I have to upgrade?

For your budget, I suggest you spend less on peripherals, but on key components. old gen I3 is not worth getting any more, 1050ti may not be enough for AAA games. Most modern MB comes with hd audio. Better performance with your budget, ssd boot drive improves speed a lot :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VDH Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($90.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SK hynix - SL308 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($77.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital - RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($35.30 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($269.89 @ Amazon)
Case: Zalman - T2 Plus MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($35.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - EVO Edition 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($92.99 @ Best Buy)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus - PCE-AC55BT B1 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus - VS228H-P 21.5" 1920x1080 Monitor ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Redragon - S102 Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1005.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-06 00:37 EDT-0400

1. yes u can, motherboard comes with on board soundcard after all

2. if u want faster booting (and loading), SSD is a must, if it doesn't matter to you, then u won't necessarily need it

i suggest on changing the PSU though, something like CX450M would be better
also, u could've gotten more performance by going with the G4560 instead XD although u gonna need a BIOS update too if u were to use it with a H110 mobo

this system is pretty much on par with mine (might be better in some case) i'll reckon that it'll survive for the next 1-3 years [depending on how big is the technology improvement, optimization from dev, etc], but can be more if u're willing to turn the settings down as we go on XD

FD2Raptor

Admirable

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Elite 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.69 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 570 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: DIYPC - DIY-BG01 ATX Mid Tower Case ($40.96 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: AOC - I2269VW 21.5" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($79.99 @ Best Buy)
Keyboard: Redragon - K551 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($49.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1012.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-06 01:15 EDT-0400

A number of titles out there (or in beta) that are already hitting the 8GB RAM at 1080p so unless you're looking forward to more upgrading in the next few months, 16GB RAM now is the way to go.

That K502 keyboard looks to me like it's having the laptop-style switch which would be terrible for gaming purpose, so swap that out for the mechanical one instead. The difference between having "104 standard conflict free keys" vs "19 non-conflict keys" of the K502 or "26 conflict-free keys" can mean the difference between having your key press registered or not so don't skimp on that.

The 802.11n wifi adaptor is outdated and overpriced when you can get a faster 802.11ac for less.

EVGA B1 is a terrible choice at that price. It's only worth it when it's in the ~$20 range and for ~$400 budget build.

An aftermarket CPU cooler is totally unnecessary for a locked Intel CPU. If you are to build now, then an AMD Ryzen 3 config would deliver much better performance than an Intel i3 would. But even if you want an Intel build, I'd say to wait for the rest of the Intel 8th gen Coffeelake line-up to be available instead of buying into old 6th gen Skylake.

You'll want to pre-route your cables when working with the DIY-BG01 (i.e. the SAMA Blackgold case as it's known in other part of the world), but otherwise it's a case that can support 3 front intake fans to cool any config. And being spacious enough for anything you may want to put inside.

Assuming you don't fill up the HDD too quickly, this config should last the next 1-2 years without needing to move any settings from the max. It is slightly over-budget but any cutting (other than the mouse) would result in significantly reduction in gaming experience (or longevity/upgradability). SSD would be a nice-to-have but not necessary.

But do recognize that the Windows 10 you've selected is an OEM DVD version. Which mean you'll either need to hook a DVD drive to the build to install windows or you'll need an USB drive of ~8GB size or more to create an USB install media and just use the product code from the DVD package. You also need to understand that the OEM license will be linked on to your MB, i.e. no changing MB without invalidating license so do install, run, check, double-check before activating that license, you should have at least ~2 weeks before activation is required.