EVGA Power Supply fluctuating between loud and quiet

Jimb0san

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
I'm fairly new to these forums but I think common practice is listing components first. (not sure what order they should go in so please be gentle)

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
Processor: Intel I7 4790k
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X31
Ram: 16 GB EVGA DDR
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 4GB
Hard drive: Intel 256GB SSD, WD 1TB hybrid
Power Supply: EVGA supernova 750G1
PC Case: NZXT S340

A few months ago I started having issues where my PC would crash when running certain games. dead by daylight, PUBG, Superhot VR are some examples. so it would appear high demanding games would cause the crash. after weeks of troubleshooting I determined it was the power supply. I came to this conclusion by borrowing a friends 500W power supply without any issues. So then I did an RMA with EVGA

I finally received my new psu from EVGA on Wed and then popped it back in and booted my pc. it was very loud. I'm trying my best not to exaggerate here. it's not so loud where I feel like its dangerous, but it sounds like a mini vacuum cleaner. After I booted into my windows screen it went back to being quiet. then as soon as I opened steam it was back to being loud. the previous one I had was silent all the time and due to the pc being water cooled the entire pc was quiet.

But here's the question (finally, sorry) was my previous psu quiet because it was defective, or is this new one defective as well?

tl;dr: old power supply crapped out, did an RMA, new received supply is way louder than the original. also fluctuates from loud to quiet then back to loud.

Bonus question: if you were looking to spend $200-$300 what would you upgrade based on my build?

Jimb0san

Reputable
Jun 19, 2015
Update: the loud fan noise issue is gone. I'm not entirely sure how, but it seems to have occurred after I did a system update and rebooted. Hopefully it stays this way.