New graphic card, old monitor

OMGPenguins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017
Got a new gt 1030 graphic card that supports DVI-D and HDMI connectors and my monitor got only VGA slot, got a DVI-D to VGA adapter and when i boot up the PC the monitor is all black nothing happens (the graphic card's fan does work). Anyone knows what can i do to make it work? Thank you for your time

This is how my adapter looks
31dgGNBvrxL.jpg

Solution
That's not an active adapter. It's a passive DVI-I to VGA adapter. Nvidia 10series cards don't have DVI-I, they have DVI-D. Completely different.

Edit: Looking at it again, that's a passive DVI-D to VGA. Which is dumb because that won't work at all. Again, an active DVI-D to VGA is what you need.

OMGPenguins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017

With something like this will it work?
411LJvEFB0L._SX355_PIbundle-33,TopRight,0,0_SX355SY211SH20_.jpg

Yes, that is active adapter, it should work. However, check the description of the item you going to buy, as some of them have a limit of maximum resolution they work with.

The picture you added in first post shows adapter that will only work with DVI-I port, because DVI-I port outputs both analog and digital signals.

OMGPenguins

Honorable
Feb 14, 2017

I've tried with a active DVI-D to VGA adapter and all i get is black screen, this is what i used :

4745454b

Titan
That's not an active adapter. It's a passive DVI-I to VGA adapter. Nvidia 10series cards don't have DVI-I, they have DVI-D. Completely different.

Edit: Looking at it again, that's a passive DVI-D to VGA. Which is dumb because that won't work at all. Again, an active DVI-D to VGA is what you need.

Solution
Obviously, there is always possibility, that despite using active adapter you'll get no display, because your new GPU could be DOA. But unless you have other machine at hand to test the GPU (and different monitor as well, since at other comp you would face same problem with no analog signal), getting the right adapter is first thing to do.