Long-ish distance (30-40') with HDMI, RCA, USB - seeking input

scrappybadger164

Prominent
Apr 23, 2017
Hi folks, I'm setting up a permanent home entertainment system that consists of a projector, audio amplifier, and computer/gaming system as the sources. The sources are located in an adjacent closet, and I'd like to run the wires through the basement for a clean install (perhaps 30-40' total length). Video will be run over HDMI and composite (RCA).

I've done some research in max cable lengths and have found this:
http:// Which states HDMI max length as 16.5' and composite as 150'.

In order to extend range, which would be preferable?
Active/booster cables?
Wireless?
Conversion to Cat5/6?

How about for USB peripherals?

Thank you for your input.

Solution
Do you *really* want to use composite in 2017? What on earth for?

Never use wireless if you can avoid it.

Cat6 would be my preference. Make sure the terminations are good - higher frequencies are very susceptible to things like untwisting the pairs too far or kinks in the cable.

Not sure about USB. It's not really intended for that. I'd tend to use wireless for controls, but if you want to plug a drive in, walk to the back of the room.
Do you *really* want to use composite in 2017? What on earth for?

Never use wireless if you can avoid it.

Cat6 would be my preference. Make sure the terminations are good - higher frequencies are very susceptible to things like untwisting the pairs too far or kinks in the cable.

Not sure about USB. It's not really intended for that. I'd tend to use wireless for controls, but if you want to plug a drive in, walk to the back of the room.

Solution