Installing Windows 10 on a brand new PC error

bmurphy50

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017
Hi,
Just built my PC and am having trouble installing windows 10. I plug in my usb and press F10 to get into boot menu and select my usb. Then select windows 10 x64. It then shows "loading files" and after about 20-30 seconds says: "Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change ..."

I tried enabling windows whql and that caused a boot failure and I had to reset my CMOS.

My specs are below
Mobo : MSI B350 Tomahawk
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 1050ti
RAM: Cosair vengance DDR4

Any help is much appreciated.

theyeti87

Honorable
Which of the USB ports are you plugging the Windows Installation USB into?

Looking at your motherboard specs, it shows that you have USB 3.1 as well as 2x USB 2.0. If you have not tried already, I suggest plugging your installation USB drive into one of the USB 2.0 ports.

bmurphy50

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017

Tried all usb slots. Still same error

bmurphy50

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017

This came in a Windows 10 Home premium box.

Make sure UEFI and AHCI are enabled in the bios.

The boot order shouldn't matter, at least till windows actually gets installed.

You may want to give Diskpart a shot.

On the part of the installation where you choose the partition, you can press f10 to bring up the cmd terminal.

Type "diskpart"

Type "list disk"

Find the name of the hard drive, not your flash drive
You should be able to tell by the size. Most likely going to be disk 0.
Type "Select disk 0"

Type "Create Partition Primary"

Type "Active"

After this close the cmd box and hit refresh in the Windows box and the new partition we just created should appear.

If it was a disk formatting issue this should clear it up.

danchoky

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
My tomahawk also didn't allow me to install original Win10. So I decided to go for a pirated one that surely did work on other PCs. I installed the pirated Win successfully but I had many blue screens. Tried reinstalling but it refused to install just like the original copy. On top of that the VCore voltage was set to 1.42V for no reason. However, I fixed the problem after updating the BIOS.

bmurphy50

Prominent
Sep 29, 2017

Yeah its documented that it has some compatibility problems.
Can I update my bios before installing my OS? I have the disk so i take it I can just boot from the optical drive?

Yes BIOS can be updated without OS. The BIOS is its own thing.