Dead Hard Drive

Strider88

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
Hey Everyone

I have a problem with a laptop hard drive. The whole thing started when I started my machine and Windows 8 just kept saying I need to repair my drive. I kept selecting the repair option but nothing happened. The machine would restart and the same process will start all over again.

I then decided to remove the hard drive after using a windows dvd as a boot disk. I went on to connecting it to a external enclosure in order to get all my data off it. Everything went well but suddenly the copying process stopped and just hovered at the same spot. I canceled the operation and tried reconnecting the drive but it wont show. If I go into device manager I can see the drive but it does not show. I tried the dskmgmt tool but doesn't show there either. Tried connecting it to another pc but the same thing.

Luckily I had a spare hard drive and installed it on the laptop. Re Installed Windows etc and teh machine is ok. I also inserted the damaged drive and tried to reset it with the Windows disks but it says that the drive is locked and I need to unlock it. I stumbled across a few "data recovery programs" but to be honest its 9/10 times a bunch of *******.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Strider88

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017
I have considered it but is there any way of saving the drive, even if it means losing the data? Sounds a bit hectic I know but would like to see if I cant save the drive.